Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Constipated

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Constipated Reply with quote

Constipated

I have recently done the NSP Clean Start Cleanse. Before I ever started the cleanse I was very regular. Now that I am clean I am constipated. I have tried everything. I know and need some additional input. Thanks. -Mary
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you do not have sufficient fiber in your diet you will become constipated no mater what program you have just completed. I can highly recommend NSP Ultimate Build which is another 10 day program designed to follow Clean Start. This will not only provide you with sufficient fiber but will also provide you with enzymes and nutrients that are essential for good bowel function. After this is over you will need to consume sufficient quantities of fiber. There are several NSP products that you can use, these are two that you can choose from that work for me: Fat Grabbers and bulk Psyllium Hulls. Don't be afraid to use either one of these products on a continuing basis, they will make life more enjoyable. Russ
Q: I would like any information to treat this condition. Symptoms I have are cramping and irregularity. I do take in quite a bit of fiber and drink lots of liquid. I also take Metamucil for this problem but this doesn't always seem to help. This is the only problem. Doctor calls it chronic. Is there any other natural way to go? Thanks for any information. -Kodi
Because your system is sluggish I would activate your system by putting you on a program with Food Enzymes, Bifidophilus, Vitamin C, Calcium Magnesium, and LBS II. These products would help create a more efficient digestive process and the Bifidophilus would also help with digestion. In addition to keeping healthy bacteria in your intestines the Calcium Magnesium and Vitamin C relaxes the soft muscles and has a toning effect on soft muscle tissue. The LBS II is a wonderful mild laxative that will aid in elimination. Over the counter bulk laxatives contain sugar and other synthetic ingredients which exacerbates the problem. Once your system starts moving I would recommend going on a cleanse after a month or two.-Suzanne
Great response Suzanne. For chronic constipation I might add, be sure that you drink lots of purified water daily. Without water fiber Metamucil is constipating. Eat lots of fresh foods, veggies and fruit. Don't eat constipating foods, white flour, sugar and beef. Relax, don't hold grudges. Holding on to garbage is your problem. Relax, meditate, see yourself free of garbage. Exercise is a necessary motion - is movement. -Dr Sandy Taylor ND
Q: A friend of mine claims she gets constipated while taking any calcium supplement. Does anyone know why? I have no clue. -Leslie
Calcium contracts muscles, magnesium relaxes muscles. Calcium does relax nerves. It has been said that the #1 nutrient deficiency in this country is Magnesium.

One of the things the GI tract needs in order to function properly (have a bowel movement) is a synchronized pattern of contraction and relaxation. Chewing raw food helps, being well hydrated helps (drink the water ladies).

She could try Skeletal Strength, it has equal amounts of Calcium and Magnesium and lots of other mineral and digestive helpers. She could start with two at bedtime and if no constipation or diarrhea, try two in the AM also. -J. Crane
I'm not sure why, but, does the supplement contain magnesium? Magnesium softens the stool; minerals should always be paired. Calcium/Magnesium is a 2:1 ratio. Perhaps she's sensitive to the form of calcium in the supplement. Maybe try liquid calcium? Make sure she takes it with Magnesium; and Vitamin D is necessary for the body to absorb the calcium. -Redhawk
Q: Have not had a regular bowel movement in a month. -Marletta Locklear
- - - - - - - - - - - -
First, let's hit on diet. Do a semi-fast first of all eating LOTS of watermelon with seeds. (Chew the seeds). Then eat romaine salads, spinach, steamed and in salads and any other green leafy veggie you like. No dairy, no grains for a few days and small amounts of protein -- eggs, fish, chicken are the easiest to digest.

You may want to get some colonic therapy or use high enemas to help get some of the old fecal matter out. Take Senna to start along with your 'diet' and drink several glasses of water throughout the day. (1/2 to 1 gallon depending on your weight)

Once you are having GOOD bowel movements, start adding in some bulk Psyllium. Start with maybe 1/4 tsp. along with whatever LBS-II you need to have a good BM the next morning. Gradually increase your Psyllium until you are taking a tablespoon. DO NOT keep taking it if you don't have a BM. In that case, look at your diet again and add more Senna or LBS-II.

You are going to be retraining your body. Do a cleanse search on the FAQ. My favorite is Cleanse, Dr Jack's Bowel. Once you are going well, do Dr Jack's 6 month colon restoration program.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
After you have followed Georgiana's instructions this info may help you. Having gone thru something like this personally I have had real good results after adding the Psyllium Husks Powder and the Noni Juice daily. Have had life long constipation and am in my fifties and it even got worse. I have also gone for colonics and it is a great help. Have to drink a lot of water, especially with the added psyllium in the diet. Fruits and veggies very important. -Kris
- - - - - - - - - -
Q: I have been taking LBS-II off and on for four years now for regularity. It works great! The problem is I have lost weight, mostly in muscle and I can't seem to gain any unless I eat junk food - which I avoid. I was having some pain under my rib cage and breast bone and a naturopath explained to me that using cascara for so long is irritating my colon and weakening my digestive fire so that I am not getting the nutrition I need. (This may explain why my gums are receding.) What can I take besides stimulants? I drink 1/3 - 1/2 cup of ground flaxseeds a day. Eat prunes (to no avail). Try to get enough water. Does NSP's aloe vera work as a laxative? If so, which one and how much? Thank you for any help you can give! -Debbie
- - - - - - - - - -
I would suggest you look for a Nature's Sunshine naturopath -- Someone who know's the products. The LBS II would NOT result in you losing muscle weight. You would need very little LBS II if you ate a diet high in vegetables -- especially green leafy ones. . . . Low in red meat and dairy. Taking Magnesium Complex would also help your bowels. I would suggest taking Psyllium Hulls Combo for additional fiber. I WOULD be concerned about your weight & muscle loss tho. This would indicate something not being right -- but I would NOT put the blame on the LBS-II. Call home office and ask for a phone number of a Nature's Sunshine ND in your area. You need GOOD advice. -Georgiana
- - - - - - - - - -
A suggestion,, You could have a chronic dose of Mycelial Candida. It is like long worms and really stuffs up the bowel action as the fecal matter cannot get through in fact the actions of the bowels can go the opposite way heading back towards the mouth!!!! The movements themselves get real small from sheep droppings down to Rat size droppings!!! Believe me it is true!! That was me years ago! Apparently there is a sign in the eyes that shows the condition is there but I never saw it as I was the only one in the class with the problem... To overcome it I cooked Grains on low in a crock-pot for 12 to 13 hours ON LOW! did 3 cupfuls of 3 different grains those days then added rolled oats. I used Brown Rice, pearl Barley and Red Lentils. but today I Measure 3 plus cups of 7 grains and have 1 large meal of them, but to start with you would benefit from 2 meals a day of the mixture. dress them up with herbs onions and veges. you will know when to cut down as you will go well on a 2 meal a day regime. best of luck. Breakfast MUST be the biggest meal. -Valerie
- - - - - - - - - -
Q: Can you please help me ..... I am on a 20 mg of water pill for retaining water ... I eat lots of fruit and veggies and I have taken Metamucil daily and senkota stool softener and drink any where from 8-10 glasses of water, juice, tea, coffee. and soothies in combination and walk every day exercise ... what else can one do it is so troublesome to sit for 1 hour trying with every breath to have a bowel movement to the point I get very bad headaches and almost pass out from excursion -Barbara
- - - - - - - - - -
Your water pill could possibly flush your hydration attempts through the kidney. Plus caffeine in coffee and tea dehydrate the colon. Add to that the fiber you are adding and there just isn't enough water in the colon to allow elimination. Magnesium malate (NSP's Fibralgia) can help the colon to move and it might take several a day until movement starts. Be sure to drink water slowly throughout the day (only about 4 oz. per hour). Anything faster will just flush through the kidney. Enzymes are a must with each meal. As a colon hydrotherapist, I see this problem frequently. Note: If this reply posts several times, I apologize---I am having a little trouble with my computer and sometimes it has a mind of it's own). -Joan
- - - - - - - - - -
I agree with Joan, you are a perfect candidate for colon hydrotherapy. It will assist in correcting the condition. If you would like help in identifying a therapist in your area please contact me directly. -Nadine
- - - - - - - - - -
I have used 5-HTP at 100mg morning and evening for this, but you need to be careful with 5-HTP I don't think can be on any antidepressants when taking it, so please make sure you do your research. Sometimes serotonin gets so low that it interferes with body functions. Most serotonin receptor sites are in the gut. I also took Marshmallow root because it eats all that crush off the walls of the intestines and cleans them up nicely.

I know it going seem funny that 5-HTP a nutrient used for depression is used for constipation, but as you know medicine or drugs are also used for different things. For example: Depakote is not only used for seizures but it also used for behavioral problems.Verapamil a heart medicine is used for migraine headaches. So remember many nutrients and herbs are also use for a wide variety of aliments.

Water pill, If it is 20mgs of lasix this is not the maxium amount, but it can dehydrate the colon. If you drink a lot of coffee and tea then Joan is on the money it really can dehydrate the colon. She is also right if you are taking that metimucil stuff it can actually create more of a problem than good if you are not drinking enough. Magnesium is depleted by some diuretics. Lack of magnesium in the body can cause all kinds of problems one being constipation. -Darcy
- - - - - - - - - -
I totally agree that low magnesium could be a root to your constipation possibly caused or exacerbated by the diuretic. The diuretic is also causing your sodium to be lost.

FYI, in many instances edema (water retention) can be attributed to low potassium levels and then the ratio between potassium and sodium get thrown off. The sodium then looks like the "bad guy" because it is assumed that it is now too elevated when the case may be that it is the potassium that needs to be elevated. Once the potassium is in the correct ration to the sodium, the edema disappears.

Lowering your sodium can set you up for a stroke because sodium is needed to prevent blood clotting. It is important to elevate potassium because it is essential in preventing a heart attack (especially if magnesium is also deficient).

It is up to you but if you want to begin to balance your potassium and sodium, drink carrot juice about 16 oz. a day for a week...meanwhile get some Alfalfa and this will continue the balancing. You can discuss with your doctor about lowering your diuretic to see how you do with out it.

Yes and up your magnesium as well. While you get your supplement, you can bathe in Epsom Salt (2 cups in bath water) for the next 3 days and see if this begins to relieve your constipation. -Lourdes Martinez
- - - - - - - - - -
A good way to kick start healing from constipation is a pure water or coffee retention enema. (done several times) You can look online for directions on how to do one. That will flush out a lot old fecal matter, and allow your body to begin to absorb the nutrients that it needs to heal your body. My naturopath (who is also my sponsor's sponsor) says to ask yourself "what's upstream"? So...if the colon is messed up, then address the liver. Detoxify! Do a Tiao He (terrible spelling) cleanse with cascara sagrada, or more mildly, take I-X to build the liver and naturally detoxify it in a more gentle way! Good luck...I was terribly constipated in my pregnancies, and enemas were sometimes the only thing to bring relief. -Reba Dragon
- - - - - - - - - -
I have already written about what is taking place with my water pill ... I was just on it for days and I am on 50mg of potassium.. 1000 mg of magnesium.. I take some salt but very little as the doctor told me that is why I have high blood pressure but since I have been on the water pill 4 days it is not taking as much fluid out as I thought it would and still have swollen legs and ankles ...my kidneys feel a real strain as I have had kidney stones 10yrs ago ..I am going on prunes and raisins and veggies for the next few days .. I only have a shower in my home.. I am 65 yrs old and have also irritable bowel syndrome. Thank you for your help. -Barbara
- - - - - - - - - -
Dear Barbara, Try taking much more potassium more like 500-800 mg a day. I have two clients that this is what was causing the water retention and high blood pressure. In most cases salt is not the problem, it is the potassium that is too deficient.

The diuretic in the long term can put you in a position of very low sodium and therefore a candidate for a stroke. So you definitely want to get to the root of this in another form.

Did you also recently start taking the magnesium and potassium?

Since you mentioned irritable bowel...then magnesium will help eventually with this and are you also on NSP's Irritable Fiber. I highly suggest seeing if you need to do a Yeast/Fungal Detox and supplementing with Bifidophilus. Overgrowth of yeast and low intestinal flora (probiotics) can do a number on someone's body. -Lourdes Martinez
- - - - - - - - - -
The magnesium you are taking may be the wrong kind. Check to see that it is Magnesium Malate. Of course table salt isn't generally good for anyone but not because it causes HBP. Sodium is essential in the stomach and the lack of it will cause digestive problems. We need Sodium and HCL (Hydrochloric Acid) which most of us don't have enough of. Again food enzymes are almost essential especially when we pass 40. Kidney stones are usually calcium depletion. Remember over the counter drugs and prescription drugs can be constipating. Good idea for veggies but would consider organic granny smith apples instead of raisins (too much sugar in raisins)and increase eating raw celery if bowel permits. Celery is excellent source of the correct sodium and won't compromise the doctors orders with reducing your salt. Celery also acts as a little "scrub brush" to help with elimination. Asparagus is excellent for the kidney (raw preferred) I am also a registered massage therapist and you might see about a lymphatic massage for the edema in the ankles. If that isn't affordable, then you might have a family member lightly stroke the skin on your limbs upward toward the thoracic duct, which is where the lymph has to go. You would need to lay down for that. The lymph nodes in the groin area are the gates for the lymph pathway to the heart and when we sit a great deal we crimp the lymph nodes and they can't work as well. (Recliners are notorious for that)Try to elevate the feet above the heart (slant boards are great) with the pelvis straight in line with the legs. A rebounder, or mini trampoline (the kind that is about 10 inches off the ground)is excellent for the colon, kidneys and lymphatic system. I recommend that for all my clients. If you want to know how you can email me directly. -Joan
- - - - - - - - - -
Barbara, I am concerned about you. No one should be going through that excruciating pain and discomfort. Sometimes the laxatives cause more problems if not enough water is passing through the system and it sounds like the water pill may be too drying to your system. Maybe the dose is too high? The question would then be what do you feel is causing your retention of water? There can be many reasons. Our bowels sometimes don't function the way we expect they should and become sluggish. Coffee can surely make our systems dehydrated and then leave a sort of "sludge" causing irritability. Hope it helps. -Denise
Q: I strain so hard at times. I had a cat scan and it showed my spleen was traumatized and the Dr. said it possibly cause by straining for a bowel movement since I had not fallen (another possibility) I have been taking lactulose once a day. I have been bothered all my life with bowel trouble.

I have diviticulose quite bad and am not suppose to eat lettuce, peas, nuts and seeds. -Betty
More than ever, you MUST clean your bowels. So, eat watermelon without the seeds. You probably should have 'Colonics' or 'Colon Irrigation' along with your bowel cleansing.

Do a search on the FAQ Page. The Aloe and Liquid Chlorophyl in Dr Jack's Colon Cleanse will help heal your bowel. Just be VERY careful and slow with the Bentonite and Psyllium.

By the time you finish that, you should be in pretty good shape. -Georgiana
You can help your bowels even if you have chronic constipation by drinking 6-8 glasses of water daily. Try drinking 4 ounces of warmed prune juice followed by a hot cup of herbal tea every morning. When including psyllium you must understand that it will not be effective if you are not drinking the recommended amount of fluids ie: water. Include other forms of fiber- fruits and vegetables. Also it is important to exercise as it improves gastric motility. Lastly, when you feel the urge don't postpone going to the bathroom. -Marisa
As a Colon Hydrotherapist a colonic along with the other suggestions. The colonic will help to reset your nerve/muscle response. The therapist will also be able to show you how to massage your tummy/colon. I use massage oil with peppermint drops. Along with the gentle massage it also helps gas to be released as it often times blocks the colon as it is trapped. You can find a trained and certified person in your area by going to www.I-ACT.org. -Nadine
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: