Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cow and the Deer

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Cow and the Deer Reply with quote

Cow and the Deer

This story is actually about being self-employed. I had the herb business in mind when I wrote it so don't be too quick to dismiss it as irrelevant:

The Cow and the Deer

A hungry wild deer was crossing a farmer's pasture one day, when he saw a fat cow sitting underneath an old shade tree lazily chewing the cud. "Now that's the life!" said the deer, "I think I'll go over and talk to that cow to see how he does it."

"How do you do it?" asked the deer, "I spend all day foraging for food, barely finding enough to eat, while you lazily sit there all day and do nothing but chew the cud. Yet you are so fat while I am so thin."

"Yes, it really is the life," said the cow, "and I owe it all to Farmer Sam. He's such a great guy! Every day he gives me a bale of hay. He even provides me with that nice barn over there where I can retire each evening. It really is great! Every morning I get up at 8:00 sharp and walk down here where I recline under this shade tree all day. Then, every afternoon at 5:00, like clockwork, I walk back up to the barn where Farmer Sam gives me my hay."

"Yes, I can see the well worn path between here and the barn," said the deer, "It looks like you walk the exact same path every day. I could never do that, for then the hunters could easily find me, so I use a different path every day. Have you ever thought of striking out on a different path some day?"

"Of course not!" said the cow, "That old rut was good enough for every cow that has gone before me and it is certainly good enough for me. I don't see how anyone could take a different path every day. That seems like such a gamble to me and I would hate to gamble!"

"But don't you ever get bored?" asked the deer, "What do you do for entertainment?"

"That's the best part!" said the cow, "At night I look out through the barn doors at the porch light at the back of the farmhouse and watch the moths flittering around the bulb. It puts me in a trance and the time passes so quickly! I love it! What do you do for entertainment deer?"

"Well at night, I usually recline on the knoll and watch the moon and the stars. That puts me in a contemplative mood and I think about what a wonderful forest it is - a forest in which I am able to wander to and fro as I please, never knowing where my next meal will come from, but always trusting, just the same, that nature will provide me with everything that I need. And so far nature has always come through for me."

"No thank you!" said the cow, "That sounds too much like gambling and I would hate to gamble with my livelihood! I prefer the familiarity of my rut and the security of my 8 to 5 routine. I like to know where my next meal is coming from."

Now Farmer Sam did not have any children of his own, so he would often spend time with his young nephew, Timmy. One day, the two of them were walking through the woods with their rifles slung across their shoulders, hunting for wild deer.

"What will happen if we don't get one, Uncle Sam?" asked Timmy, "Deer are so hard to find!"

"It's true, Timmy, deer are healthy, agile animals who can run very fast and jump over the highest fences that I can build. They are indeed hard to get. But that doesn't matter one bit because we don't really need the deer. We have plenty of food back at the house. We are just hunting for sport. And besides, I hate those pesty deer because they are always nibbling at the edges of my crops. I don't know what makes them think they have the right to nibble at the crops that I have worked so hard to grow, and with no help from anyone else!"

"Oh," said Timmy, "By the way, Uncle, I'm beginning to get hungry. What's for supper tonight?"

"Hamburgers."

Moral of the story: Uncle Sam might kill the deer and then again he might not. But he will most assuredly slaughter the cow!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: