Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dandelion Picking

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Dandelion Picking Reply with quote

Dandelion Picking

Can I just pull a dandelion out of the ground and eat it? I know you can eat the leaves as is but is there anything special you have to do to the flower and root?? Thank you sooo much!! -Missy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Well, you might want to consider if any pesticides or fertilizers had been sprayed on it first. I have never eaten a dandelion myself. -Robin S.
This is what it says about Dandelion on the NSP website. I think Robin's comments about pesticides, etc on the dandelion to be appropriate. You would want to be concerned with what you were consuming.

Dandelion [Urinary, Digestive] is a member of the sunflower family. Its name is a corruption of the French dents de lion, meaning "teeth of the lion." Herbalists consider this plant one of the most nutrient-rich in the plant kingdom. The whole plant is edible—the flowers, the leaves and the roots. Dandelion supports digestion and nourishes the liver. The herb is a source of many important minerals and vitamins. Each capsule contains 460 mg dandelion. -Georgiana
My grandma used to eat the greens like lettuce, on sandwiches. They were pretty poor so dandelion leaves, a piece of bread and a dab of butter was a gourmet meal. Kept 'em healthy too. Young greens are tastier... once the plant flowers the sweet sugars tend to go towards the flower for reproduction purposes! Spring is best for sure.

Later in the season, they fried the blossoms. Or you can put them in salads.

The root is best dried and roasted, then ground up and made into hot tea. It has more of a coffee like flavor.

Definitely be very careful and do NOT eat dandelions that have been exposed to pesticide sprays. -Desiree
- - - - - - - - - -
Love dandelion used it a lot when I first came to natural health, but later learn how to harvest them from a course I took on herbal preparation. They have so many benefits, and I have a wealth of them in my yard during the season. I make a extract out of them or tea.

since I live in the country on my own acres of land I do not have to worry about pesticides. I mean I am sure some stuff precipitates from the air, but I am not so worried as one in the city might be esp. if your yard is near a highway or road way. They taught us in my courses never pick near a roadway. -Darcy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: