Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy Reply with quote

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy

Add Butchers Broom, it helps to improve circulation, especially to the feet. -Angelica Pattison
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The quick answer for diabetic peripheral neuropathy is "get your blood sugar down and keep it there!" With this under control, you will stop making sugar-damaged proteins (measured by the "A1C" test) in the blood and, within several months, as your blood is renewed, these will also come down. This takes some months' time but I believe that these malformed proteins are the foundation of the diabetic nerve inflammation and damage. Have patience.

In the meantime, you want circulation to improve to carry plenty of oxygen down to the extremities that need healing; Mega-Chel should do nicely and Capsicum Garlic and Parsley will help. You also want extra nerve nutrients; Nutri-Calm provides a heavy dose of B vitamins plus nerve trophorestorative herbs. If you aren't wasting a little extra yellow in your urine, you're not staying saturated with B vitamins. Extra B6 helps. Ah, I just remembered that Mega-Chel also has lots of B vitamins - but you get the idea.

Finally, extra antioxidants will be protective. In fact, Lipoic-acid has clinical trials for reducing peripheral neuropathy all by itself – but you have to take 300+ mg/day. Heck, throw in some lecithin and Omega-3 oils while you're at it. Nerves thrive on this stuff. (Frankly, I didn't take everything at once but I did keep rotating through these classes of supplements.)

Have more patience. The nerves heal more slowly than most tissues. I made dramatic progress after the first few months: the debilitating pain went away but my feet were still numb. Nothing much changed for the better part of a year, but then I wasn't keeping my blood sugar low enough yet either. Finally, I started recovering feeling in my feet. Now I am ticklish everywhere except the tips and bottoms of my toes.

Yes, the body can heal a lot. "Even THIS!!!" (The numbness had worked its way up to my thighs and my fingers were starting to be affected and a family friend had committed suicide after his doctors had told him that the only thing they could do for his pain was three more amputations.)

About the "blood type" part of your question . I'm going to get my ear chewed on for this, but 'm not into that. (OK, maybe it's a case of "ignorance is bliss." On the other hand, ignorance was almost "kiss my feet goodbye.")

As it turns out, I am in the process of editing the next issue of Nature's Field - on the topic of "The Nervous System." Its beginning to look like we will need a replacement for one of the scheduled articles and I will probably write it myself . on this topic. And, I will see about posting it to the forum for you and all.
-David Satterlee (VERY smart man – suffered from diabetes himself)
I have used (just recently) the omega 3 taken with Lecithin and Vitamin E, and I could feel a difference within a day. Its one of those things that is really subtle, but obvious, if you understand. I just felt... Also, I've found that Pantothenic Acid taken at night really helps, usually that same night. I'll take 2 or 3 capsules. IFG 1 has been a tremendous help. -Kathy MacLaren
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Vitamin B-6, Alpha Lipoic Acid (Brain Protex), Fibralgia, St. John's Wort for nerve repair, Ginkgo and Chlorophyll caps to get oxygen to the areas. When it is immune related then the Colostrum (regular not Plus) can help. Peripheral neuropathy causes weakness, numbness, and pain in the hands and feet. It results from injury to the peripheral nerves which carry signals between the brain or spinal cord and the muscles, skin, and the internal organs. There are many causes for neuropathy but everyone with neuropathy shares the same or similar manifestations. The neuropathy can often be arrested, and sometimes even cured. There are many possible causes of peripheral neuropathy, including:

Some of the most common causes include repetitive activities such as typing or working on an assembly line. In this case, the neuropathy may be isolated to the upper extremities, such as with carpal tunnel syndrome.

Pressure on a nerve can cause a peripheral neuropathy. For example, pressure on a nerve that comes out from the groin to the skin in front of the upper thigh (the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve) can cause burning and tingling in this location. This particular problem is called meralgia paresthetica and can be caused by wearing a tight belt or other restrictive clothing. Additionally, it can result from being overweight or pregnant.

Many illnesses can result in peripheral neuropathy. Some examples include DIABETES, syphilis, AIDS, and kidney failure.

Other causes include nutritional deficiencies, such as B-12 and folate deficiency, medications and chemical exposures. Medications known to cause peripheral neuropathy, include several AIDS drugs (DDC and DDI), antibiotics (metronidazole, an antibiotic used for Crohn's disease, isoniazid used for TB), gold compounds (used for rheumatoid arthritis), some chemotherapy drugs (such as vincristine and others) and many others. Chemicals known to cause peripheral neuropathy include ALCOHOL, lead, arsenic, mercury and organophosphate pesticides.

Some peripheral neuropathies are associated with diseases which are inherited (hereditary). Others are related to infectious processes (such as Guillian-Barre syndrome). Is there any treatment for peripheral neuropathy?

The treatment for peripheral neuropathy depends on its cause. Many peripheral neuropathies can be treated by addressing the underlying cause (such as vitamin deficiency). Others can be prevented from occurring. For example, controlling diabetes may prevent diabetic neuropathy. Neuropathies that are associated with immune diseases can improve with treatment directed at the abnormal features of the immune system. -Kimberly Balas
I would try B6, B-Complex and Stress Relief to start. Perhaps some Omega-3 for inflammation too. PN is irritation of the nerve endings in the extremities. -Lindy
I am replying to the question as to whether anyone has treated neuropathy. My answer is yes, and with very good results. I have developed a "neuropathy recipe" that has helped many people get the feeling back, and has helped with the burning discomfort. Of course, I use a regular herb program with it, also. Thoroughly wash a lemon (a real lemon like comes off of a tree). Cut it in sections, including the skin . . . the whole lemon. Put it in a blender with some water. Blend. Strain it and keep the juice part. Add one tablespoon olive oil to it. Blend. Divide into three separate portions. Take one portion with 3 Lecithin (NSP Lecithin, of course) three times per day.
Fantastic remedy with fantastic results if the person will stay on it and do it faithfully every day. -Ruby Lawler
The. Helichrysum Essential Oil is excellent for neuropathy. It really, really helps. Helichrysum repairs nerves so well that many people have gotten their hearing back, and one man (a client of a friend of mine) is even moving his legs after years of paralysis. -Cyleste Teague
Hi we had a Dr Simpson here yesterday; He has a lab in Dunedin. His interest has been Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, ME, lupus, diabetes etc. He found that the red blood cells get stiff with many diseases, therefore the cells that are 8 microns in size cannot go through the capillaries that are 4 microns because they cannot bend or squeeze through. It is the answer to many problems. His suggestion was Evening Primrose Oil but he realizes that many cannot take it so some can take Black Currant Oil. But there must be other things that can soften the cells. They are Omega 6s. He also said they took 11 brands of Evening Primrose Oil that can be bought in New Zealand and tested and they found that only 3 were Evening Primrose!!! (Glad we have NSP) He sometimes used up to 60 Evening Primrose Oil a day for some people. -Valerie Steiner
I highly recommend Helichrysum Oil to restore nerve damage. It also will help with the pain. -Inge Wetzel
Neuropathy is nerve damage, often caused by high blood sugar levels and usually experienced distally first, I have had great results with Eight, Butchers Broom and super GLA. Muscle test for these and amounts. -Terri Phillips
(This post is included not because it refers to peripheral neuropathy, but because of the diabetic articles mentioned. . . . . . definitely helpful for peripheral neuropathy also.

Essiac Tea has been known to help with that.
I have spent quite a while trying to find the article which discussed the diabetic retinopathy....and could not find it. I had quite a few articles a few years ago which have been lost along the way. I do have 2 articles which refer to diabetes. One "Essiac: Nature's Cure for Cancer" by Elizabeth Robinson, Wildfire Volume 6 No. 1 , says that "Sir Frederick Banting, the co discoverer of Insulin, wanted to work with Rene (Caisse). She had clinical cases where a person on insulin discontinued it with the Essiac, since no one knew how Essiac would interact with the insulin. Apparently Essiac Regulated the pancreas in cases of diabetes mellitus. So these people then became insulin-free."

And from "Cancer Cures Offer New Hope" by Scott E. Miners-printed in Well Being Journal, Mar/Apr 1994, "indeed, Dr. Frederick Banting, discoverer of insulin, wanted to test the substance in his laboratory, because of one person who had been cured of cancer by Essiac was taken off insulin for her diabetes. Under Essiac therapy though her cancer tumor of the bowel became larger and harder at first, the tumor soon softened, got smaller and disappeared. The woman's diabetes also disappeared. Dr. Bantin thought the Essiac healed the pancreas as well, and thus had potential to treat diabetes. HE wanted to test the substance in his lab, but he also wanted Caisse to close her clinic while tests were run. She refused. There were too many people waiting for treatment. The test on diabetes were not run....According to herbalist Barbara Mowbray, burdock root has been used for centuries. Eaten as spring greens, it stimulates production a blood purifier. It has renown for reducing the pain and swelling of arthritis. An extract of the root contains inulin, which the body converts to insulin, helpful to diabetics."

My own suspicion is that what helps with the retinopathy is the inulin in the burdock root. The full articles are pages long. I'm going to try to put them on my computer in the next few weeks, and will forward those to people who want them.

I personally feel its best to use more than one thing at a time. While (for Cancer) Et is wonderful, I've seen it work wonders, I would also do extensive parasite cleansing, plus Pau D Arco, etc. I hope this helps. -Kathy MacLaren
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: