Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dog - Skin Issues/Hot Spots/Itching

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Dog - Skin Issues/Hot Spots/Itching Reply with quote

Dog - Skin Issues/Hot Spots/Itching

I was wondering if it could be either allergies or skin mites. Try him on Una de Gato (6 capsules or ½ tsp+ X 2) do this for a few days for immune system. Then try Ayurvedic Skin Detox and maybe some Black Walnut. Do you do muscle testing? Probably 3 X 2 of the Ayurvedic Skin Detox and 4 X 2 of the Black Walnut. Oh, try a couple Evening Primrose Oil caps also.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The best thing to do would be take her to the veterinarian. There are many things that could trigger her itching so badly. Flea infestation, allergies, dry skin, mange. All of these things cause hair loss as well. The veterinarian will give her a skin test and decide what the best treatment would be. It may burn her or cause more irritation if you just throw her in a strong flea dip before knowing the exact cause of the problem. So take her to the vet, have him/her do a skin scrape, diagnose her, and follow the proper treatment plans. -Heather
I had this problem with my dog! They are called "Hot Spots" and they can become quite annoying to the animal!

First thing you need to do is stop the animal from licking and biting the area so that you can apply some NSP products to heal the hot spot.. When I had the problem the only way I could stop her from licking and biting was to purchase a "cone" to place around the animals head.. (looks like your dog is wearing the lamp shade around their head).. Also it helps if you can shave the hair around the hot spot..

I have applied "Herbal Trim" to hot spots with great results.. but here is a mixture for the really tough ones..

2 oz Pau D'Arco Lotion
2 oz. Aloe Vera Gel
1/2 bottle of Tea Tree Oil
4 droppers ful of Black Walnut Extract

While the animal is in the "cone" you can reduced the urge to scratch with Distress Remedy and Allergy homeopathic..
Hot Spots can be caused by parasites (usually fleas) or problem with the pets diet -- allergies caused by pollution in the pet food. Or a dry skin problem associated with a lack of essential fatty acids in pet foods. Clean up the pets diet add Herbal Trace Minerals, Garlic, HSN-W. I hope this helps. -J. Davis
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Her skin broke out all over her body and her hair fell out. We got her through that, but then she started to have scabs and yellow sticky stuff coming out all over her back. My sister's black lab had this. Turned out he had thyroid problems. We used NSP for thyroid support - don't remember exactly, but I think it was Thyroid Activator and TS-II. The herbs worked, but not as quickly as she wanted - dog had nasty disposition related to his illness -so sis ended up going to the vet who confirmed low thyroid and gave the dog prescription meds. "Gus" is all better now! -Sage Dahm
The catch to this may have been the quantity. TS-II might work the best in quantities of 5, three times a day the first two days - then adjust. Beware tho - the dog will be very hyper. -Georgiana Duncan
I have a Great Dane who has had skin problems like you have described. Finally took him to my ND. She said to try NSP Homeopathic Candida remedy, it works really fast on animals. And make sure his food has no sugar or yeast.. I had another person at a park tell me he has a yeast infection because of his red blistery skin. Susan Reuter
I've heard on this forum that Liquid Chlorophyll is a mild bowel stimulant. You could put it in the dog's water. Supposed to help their breath too. :-) -Bonnie Toney
We have a Pit Bull mixed and he also had "hot spots" where he would scratch himself raw. They are all gone now and this is what we did for them. ALJ sprinkled on his food one capsule twice daily, HSN-W one capsule sprinkled on his food twice daily, and we put Aloe Vera Gel on the spots. Within a month they were gone and he now sleeps better and does not scratch at all. -Bill Witten
A few things come to mind. Have you checked her diet to make sure she/he doesn't have allergies? Have you tried Oregon Grape? It has worked well for my dogs when they have had skin problems; also Chinese Blood Build. I didn't have luck at first with these, but I wasn't giving them enough. When I increased the amounts, I got great results. (I tend to stray to the cautious side. I am getting bolder.) Could you set up some kind of temporary shelter (i.e. make-shift tarp/lean-to?) till the bad weather passes? I added some Psyllium Hulls to my dog's food to help him eliminate more completely. This might help your dog as well, as it will fill his colon and give him a stronger urge. -Peggy Day
My dog did not get to the point of raw spots, but she was scratching so hard I was afraid she would hurt herself. I give her a big splash of Whole Leaf Aloe Vera every morning and she loves it, and no more scratching. -Kathy Wood
Q: I've got a dog that is 6 years old and usually right before the weather change she scratches a lot but she has done it non stop now. I've done the flea dip and bathed her and still nothing works. She also has a terrible smell to her which is making the house smell really bad. I moved in with some people that have cats but I wouldn't think that would do anything. She is a Pom. Another thing she is doing is she is always rubbing herself against things. Like the couch floor anything really. She has never done that before. I'm out of options so any suggestions would be great. -Danyell
Cleansing time! Must work inside out here. I consulted Vivian O'neill's Healthy Pet Herb Guide from NSP Canada to confirm my initial thoughts for you. Yeast is likely at work here. Therefore, Acidophilus, Bifidophilus is important. The Children's Herbasaurs Bifidophilus is good to use from NSP. VS-C can also be helpful here. Pau D'Arco Lotion can be helpful externally for itch. Be aware of the food you're using - if it's poor quality - you may want to upgrade. That's a start - hope it helps. -Mike
Mike is referring to something not available in the US. He said it was available in Canada.
There is an excellent book on dogs available from Amazon.com, Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats -- by Richard H. Pitcairn, Susan Hubble Pitcairn. -Georgiana
I will tell you EXACTLY what the problem is. 90% of the vet visits right now are from the SAME symptoms...the problem is allergies...either food or environmental. -Cindy
Skin, beautiful skin! Is your dog constantly scratching, biting, licking and driving you crazy? You are not alone! Your pet's skin, just like yours, is an indicator of health. Skin forms a barrier between the inside and outside and reflects what is going on inside the body and can also be indicative of adverse exterior conditions. Skin problems may be caused by stress as well as pet food additives, chemicals and preservatives. The best way to help keep your pet healthy is to feed a natural, human grade whole food diet.

Hot Spots "The term "Hot Spots" refers to a range of painful skin conditions typified by moist, inflamed lesions with acute, superficial-to-deep pyoderma. Most lesions are secondary to self-trauma. In most cases, surface bacterial colonization becomes significant. The inflamed skin is irritating and painful to the pet and upsetting to the pet owner. Once the condition begins, the pet frequently aggravates the problem. Irritation leads to scratching and/or licking of the wound, which in turn, causes further damage to the skin and increased irritation. This "itch-scratch-itch" cycle can quickly turn a small lesion into a large wound." Getting to the source of skin problems in our pets can be difficult to determine. Most skin problems in dogs are caused by external parasites such as fleas and mites.

Eczema/Itchy Skin "A good general approach to skin problems is to consider them the results of a body loaded with toxins, and anything that can be done to reduce this load will help the animal. So a good natural diet is often the single most useful thing that can be done, as discussed in an earlier edition of this magazine. This will often make a big difference and is well worth trying before resorting to steroids, or other drugs. The use of a good filtered water source or high quality spring water can also help, as can purifying the air in the home your pet lives in. Replace the use of dips, sprays and all strong chemicals to control fleas and ticks with natural flea control. It is a fact that when your pet becomes healthier, and on a better diet and preventative health regime, they will be better able to repel the fleas and not become totally infested. If we can strengthen the immune system, then we can help the body to heal itself, not suppress it further with steroids and strong drugs."

Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD) is another common allergy in pets. Pets with FAD are not only irritated by flea bites, but are allergic to the parasite's saliva. When the pet receives his first flea bite, his immune system responds and is hyperactivated. Then, when the pet is bitten again, a more severe itching occurs, causing intense scratching. This not only starts a seemingly never-ending itch cycle, it also causes hive-like lesions from all of the bites, making the pet very uncomfortable." http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?dept_id=0&siteid=12&acatid=394&aid=74.

Complimentary Products: Aloe Vera, Golden Salve, Vitamin E, Echinacea, Golden Seal, Essential Fatty Acids, Flax Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Jojoba Oil, AC Healing Cream. http://www.banditsbuddies.com - Robin
Use wet tea bags on itching skin, or even on hot spots on your pets.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
There are several reasons for dogs to itch like you described, but the most common seems to be a lack of essential fatty acids. Flaxseed oil is a great source and comes in a liquid which is easy to use for dogs. I usually add a teaspoon of albacore tuna to the food as well, it contains the good fish oils that also help the skin. The tuna helps make the flax taste better. I also like Herbal Trace Minerals as a supplement for dogs as it provides the trace minerals missing from most commercial food and helps detoxify their body as well. Most of the time these two products will produce coats that shine and healthy skin. Since your dog is young I don't think digestion is likely to be the problem, but you can add L-rueteri if you like if you have noticed your dog belches or has gas a lot. If he is over 8 years old I'd add one Proactazyme plus to his food as well. Yeast can cause this but usually the skin becomes more inflamed if yeast is present, but if in doubt, Pau d' Arco, Black Walnut, or Noni Juice can be added to his program. Also, make sure you are feeding a high quality pet food, available at any of the big health food stores. All the products mentioned are Nature's sunshine products. - Valerie Greguire
Editorial Note: Instead of the Tuna Fish and Flax Seed Oil, give your dog Super Omega 3 EPA (Fish Oil Caps)
Please see my response to "Fleas" above. My dog did this when she developed an allergy to fleas. My little long-haired Chihuahua is mostly black and it's terribly hard to see fleas. This could be a problem with your Lab. -Erni
Dear Ruth, many scratching allergies can be from diet, grass or fleas but most times it is from a lack of essential fatty acids in the diet. Give her one to two Lecithin capsules a day. This should help with the itching. To pill her you can open the capsule and empty it in her food or wrap the capsule in a piece of meat and she will eat it.

As for topical application of the hot spots: Fill a muslin bag with oat and cook in 4 cups of water for 10 minutes. Squeeze the bag back into the solution and use this solution to bath the hot spots. Oatmeal is very soothing and reduces the itching. Next apply Golden Salve as needed. Essential oils applied to raw skin is not tissue friendly and can cause more pain and burning to the already irritated skin.

Check the dog food you feed and make sure there is no corn in the formula. As for Black Walnut? It is toxic to dogs. NSP has an extract of Ultimate Echinacea and this can be given 10 drops a day dose which is half the adult dose for 14 days. -Suzanne
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: