Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E.O. - Classroom

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: E.O. - Classroom Reply with quote

E.O. - Classroom

I have a Special Ed teacher who wears Frankincense as a perfume on her clothes. She swears by it. She has it in a spritzer. The kids love it. -LeRae McBroom
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A client is asking what would be the best oils to use in a diffuser---in a classroom where there are several very hyper children----the teacher is game to try it and see what happens, if anything??? They would like to run the diffuser for several days and see if they could tell anything? Any ideas---or have any of you had experience in a classroom with anything like this??? They know they couldn't be "giving" them anything to take, but the "air freshening" diffuser might be an option??? Thanks. -Geraldine Huisman
Before they do anything, have them get permission from whoever is highest up in that school. They have NO IDEA if any of the kids will have reactions and my bet is that they won't be able to use it. Just don't let them "try it" on their own; they could get in big trouble. We had two teachers here who did that and they got a severe warning to never do it again because parents were unaware of it and that's a big "no-no" here in NY. -Nolee
The first thing I would recommend with the diffuser here to control how well it works is to only have it on 10 minutes every hour. Lemon and all your citrus work well for ADD. Peppermint in another good one too. There are several studies written up by Tisserand on this type of environment and using the oils for concentration. I might try the Focus blend but would shut it off after only 5 minutes. -Kimberly Balas
I remember as a child I would eat the art paste - you know- the white stuff in the jar - craved it. I have counselors now telling me that I am ADD. Welp-come to find out Ylang Ylang smells just like the paste. Ylang Ylang is a good one for me though I don't think I would diffuse it into a room. People have much different reaction to smells. While it may help some-it may not others. -John Raymond
I have used EO spritzers (mostly water and a few drops EO's) in classrooms and large groups as an 'air freshener' - no one seems to mind spraying air freshener, so that is what I call it, and never had a problem - just don't overdo it - I wouldn't use my full strength diffuser in these situations -

Most children who are bothered by synthetic or artificial scents are just fine with diluted EO's - Also - parents of children who are truly highly allergic to something (not just bothered) will always inform the school and teacher and usually have an epinephrine injection at the school just in case - if you know you have one of these kids in your classroom, talk to the child's parents and be extra cautious - other than this, EO's are highly preferable to the artificial 'air fresheners' that are common- -Allison
When I taught I diffused all the time. The kids were calmer, more alert and loved my classroom because it smelled good. I experimented with different oils and used Lavender and Lemon combination a lot. The first few days were horrible because I think some of the kids were detoxing - probably their cheetos and pop diet, but after the first week I had much calmer kids and they would stop by my room during passing period just to sniff the air. -Margaret Jeffers
Well, all I know is in a public school you need permission. It is simple Kim Balas what are your thoughts on this subject since you taught this class, because I was taught by you EO's are powerful and can provoke responses within the brain both positive and negative, they can promote health, and healing, but they can also cause headaches, and adverse reactions. Not all people respond to the same oils in a postive way, and you can have negative after affects from oils not well accepted by your body system, and this may not even show up at the time of use.

In Europe EO's are considered drugs. What is the difference here between someone passing around a bottle of Tylenol in a classroom and diffusing EO's? None! You have to be very careful when you use these products in a school. I've done a lot of work with EO's and I have a large stock of just about every oil. I myself have responded in an adverse way to some oils. Lavender excites me and Peppermint helps me relax and rest. Some Oils can bring on seizures to!!!! As I have said, I have studied and used EO's for a while now, and they have powerful vibrations, in fact they have the highest vibration frequency of anything. Just a food for thought. -Darcy
I know we have been over this topic before. As a sensitive person and former teacher I strongly recommend you do not "freshen the air'. Everyone reacts differently to E/O. Lavender may calm one person while having the opposite effect on another. Please get clean air into the classroom. Many schools have dusty, recycled air polluted with chemicals like cleaning products, whiteboard markers and art materials. -Barbara Patterson
I would invest in one of those hepa purifiers. You can put it on quiet mode during class and run it on high during breaks and recess time. You can get them for around $50 to clean a average size school room. Of course your probably going to have to run it by the maintenance man so they can check if electrical function okay. Just food for thought. -Darcy
I had no problem obtaining permission from my building administrator, nor did I have problems with any of the parents. -Margaret Jeffers
OK, you will probably get a laugh out of this. In my school where I diffused, we had a really bad rodent problem along with the smell of the dead ones. When I asked permission to diffuse, they were all for it. When the teacher in the room next to mine wanted to use a hepa filter, they said no because it was a medical device and may not be appropriate for some students with certain medical conditions. So they installed automatic air fresheners in the rooms that put out a puff of synthetic chemical spray every few seconds to cover up the smell of the dead mice and students started getting sick. There were parents requesting that other teachers be allowed to diffuse instead of the other "air fresheners" that the district put in the other classrooms.

I agree that diffusing in a classroom can be a dicey subject. I have also used EOs for years, am a Naturopathic Physician and a Certified Aromatherapist. I have also been fortunate enough to participate in research studies involving the use of EOs and cognitive and behavioral function. This may be why I was able to obtain permission easily to do this and was also able to use some of the students in case studies. In my experience I found diffusing to be safe, and highly beneficial. Several teachers in the district where I taught are diffusing with no ill effects. -Margaret Jeffers
If I am not mistaken, the Alpine is an ozone generator. Ozone can send many into an asthma attack and prolonged exposure can scar the lungs. I believe ozone generators can be hazardous and would diffuse almost any oil in my classroom before using an ozone generator. -Margaret Jeffers
What oils did you use that you found EVERYONE benefitted from?
I believe in a spritzer it would be mild enough to benefit more than be negative no matter what oil you are using. Just use it in limited quantities. -Kimberly Balas
Lavender, Lemon, Mandarin, Bergamot - there are probably others, but I consider these good for everyone -Allison
Pretty much the citrus oils - Lemon, Orange, Grapefruit, also food results with Lavender, blended with these. The oils specific to the study were Lemon, Lavender, vetiver. -Margaret Jeffers
Are these findings published and available? I would like to present them to the school board here.

It is for energy production in the cells and to support adrenal movement of minerals, insulin and protein. Morning and afternoon have been the best uses for me. The best thing you can do to get more info on this with clinical trials and research findings by a medical doctor is to go to www.drbrownstein.com and get his book Salt Your Way to Health. It is where I learned about doing this. He recommends it for everyone and has documented studies of curing high blood pressure with it. -Kimberly Balas
Yes, you are right, it is an ozone generator. I am amazed at the varying opinions about the same product. I have two friends who have them and the reason they got them was because their child was ever so much better when they were run in the house. Both children eliminated their inhalers and are now completely off their drugs, just because the ozone generator was so good. Nothing else touched the asthma...not Tei Fu, not lobelia, nothing, not until they got the machine. Hmmmmm, VERY interesting!! -Nolee
No I am not in NY. In OK. The parents had to sign forms if they wanted their children included in the study. The kids had to qualify and they had to consent to additional cognitive testing and such. The other parents had to sign a hold harmless waiver the district had and an acknowledgment of informed consent.

As far as the ozone is concerned, there are conflicting research and anecdotal reports on it. I know that I personally cannot stand it, and have worked with clients who are farmers who have been injured by ozone. It is commonly used in potato storage facilities and can be an irritant and lead to scarring. My fiancee has asthma and loves it. So go figure. Deaths to small pets have been reported with the use of ozone generators in homes, and I start having respiratory distress in areas in which they are used. I would never have one in my home. I used to work in a chiropractic office that had one and I had to quit because of the irritation to my lungs. However, I do advocate it in clinical use. it is great for wounds and infections when used in a directed application and sealed area. -Margaret Jefferes
Ozone is oxygen. It is O3 instead of O2. Ionic breezes do not generate ozone as I understand it, but I could be wrong. -Margaret Jeffers
These findings are published and were presented at the Young living Essential Oils Convention a few years ago and also I believe at an International Symposium of some kind. The results are cited in their company literature. I will contact Dr. Friedman and see if there is a complete copy or at least an abstract that I can get for you. I am not sure whether or not the study was published in a journal or kept by the company for proprietary use or whatever. I have some of the trial data here, but not a copy of the finished study. I was involved in data collection and test administration and the student files that I have are confidential and are part of the children's IEP and medical records and cannot be released. I will get back to you when I hear from Dr. Friedman. -Margaret Jeffers
Nancy has a fantastic set (actually, several) of EO recipe cards that contain these recipes and many more. It is really fantastic and I highly recommend that everyone purchase her set(s) of cards. Maybe she could post the information here for everyone¹s information. I have really learned a lot from Nancy. She is also a great teacher if you want to have someone come and speak at your area herb conference. I really hope to have her do some training for us here in NY sometime in 2006. -Sharon Grimes
For several years now some of my members who are teachers have been spritzing focus (when needed) and a calming blend I make with Lavender, Sandalwood, Nutmeg and Patchouli. The kids of course like the calming best , but got used to the smell of focus and asked for it when they needed to concentrate on something. Usually they would spritz the EO's around the room in the morning and just when the kids are coming in from recess, things like this. We got started on spritzes because the teacher wanted something to protect her from all the kids coming to her and coughing and sneezing all the time so we use Guardian for that. Good to keep around!!!!! -Nancy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: