Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vegetarians

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Vegetarians Reply with quote

Vegetarians

I became a vegetarian 5 1/2 years ago. I do eat some cheese, and use milk in my cereal, but I know that I am not getting enough protein in my diet. I am losing my hair, my skin is very dry, and my fingernails and toenails are shot. It's hard to get enough protein without having to "overeat" grains, carbs, and other high protein veggies, which in turn have caused me to gain weight. Is there another way to get my protein level up other than those awful tasting protein powder shakes? Any suggestions would be helpful. -Rhonda
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Why are you assuming this is a protein deficiency? I have been a vegan (strict vegetarian - no animal foods) for many years and have never had any of these problems. The standard vegetarian diet in America gives you about twice the protein you require, so I doubt that it is a protein problem. It could be several things including a digestive or glandular problem, but it sounds more like an essential fatty acid (EFA)deficiency to me. EFA's, unlike other fats, cannot be manufactured by the body and are only available in significant quantities in a handful of plant foods. My family makes sure we get enough by taking flax seed oil, which NSP sells in both capsule and liquid form. By the way, we get lots of compliments on our skin and shiny hair!

If you are going to remain vegetarian and get adequate nutrition you may need to educate yourself a bit more. A good book is Becoming Vegetarian by Melina, Davis and Harrison, which explains your nutritional needs including EFA requirements. Hope this helps. -Laura
You are probably getting plenty of protein. The symptoms you reported are mostly a result of insufficient essential fatty acids (specifically omega 3.) I suggest you add more Flax Seed oil to your daily diet and drop the dairy products and avoid all processed foods and junk foods (foods containing any amount of refined white flour and sugar.) You'd do better eating fish than dairy products. (If you are concerned with the treatment of animals, know that dairy cows are treated with much more cruelty than any seafood.) Your diet should consist primarily of vegetables. If you feel like you need more protein eat more soy products. I HIGHLY recommend you read the book "Diet for a New America" by John Robbins, in which he totally dispels the protein myth using sound science. He also explains the reason for the protein myth. This book is essential reading for anyone who eats! By the way, I am a vegan (no dairy and no eggs) and I strongly believe that Atkins is the biggest quack of our generation! -Duane Weed
Q: Are NSP products suitable for vegetarians and vegans? ie no gelatin in the capsules? - Kim
The capsules are gelatin, but Kosher and acceptable to most vegetarians. -Georgiana
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: