Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sea Salt

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Sea Salt Reply with quote

Sea Salt

What are the benefits of Sea Salt?

I have NSP's Sea Salt in my store. I use it as well. I have had some buy it, but was wondering what the benefits are over using regular salt like Morton's? Incase I get someone who asks. Is it just that Sea Salt is more natural? Are there more benefits that this? Thanks -Shelley
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Buy a container of Morton's salt and have it in your shop so your customers can read the label. It has been bleached, and treated with other chemicals, and most table salt brands also contain aluminum and sugar.

Redmond's Real Salt (our NSP sea salt) is 100% natural, full of minerals, and is a potent source of iodine --- higher than any other sea salt source on the planet. People always see (and taste!) the difference when they switch to it; and even people who have been told by the doctor to avoid salt can use it. :-) -Sharon
I've never read the salt box. Always thought it was just salt. we get the Morton's iodized salt. Says salt, calcium silicate, dextrose and potassium iodide.

Now why would there be a sugar form of any kind in salt? -Cindyp
You can hardly buy anything in the inner aisles of the grocery store that does not have added sugar!!! -Sharon Grimes
I was taught years ago that the potassium iodide turns the salt purple. People don't want purple salt so they coat the salt with sugar to make it white. Actually, salt should never be white, either. -Ann Jones
In addition to the benefits mentioned by Sharon, the salt NSP is selling comes from an ancient salt dome in Redmond, UT. It was deposited before the oceans became polluted. It is also higher in minerals than any sea salt. -Steven H. Horne
From the RealSalt website:

Long before the earth knew pollutants of any kind, a huge, ancient sea covered what is now North America. Pure, natural salt was the main ingredient of this sea, and over millions of years, the water evaporated, leaving the salt in undisturbed deposits. At some point during the earth's Jurassic era, a range of volcanos erupted around the ancient sea bed, sealing the salt with layers of thick volcanic ash, protecting these precious deposits against the pollution that man would eventually introduce into the environment. Near the small town of Redmond, in central Utah, approximately 200 miles south of Salt Lake City, we extract this hand-selected salt from deep within the earth, and bring it to you in its pure, natural state-without any additives, chemicals, or heat processing. This is RealSalt, full of flavor and natural goodness-the way salt was meant to be savored!

The RealSalt® Difference Compared to RealSalt brand salt, many sea salts appear stark white because they have undergone a harsh refining process. Unlike RealSalt, these salts are filled with silicates, dextrose, and other additives. By contrast, RealSalt is an all-natural, kosher-certified sea salt extracted from deep within the earth, crushed, screened, and packaged. RealSalt's unique flecks of color are the result of more than 50 natural trace minerals essential to human health (including natural iodine!). Experience the goodness of RealSalt!

RealSalt Customers: These are only a few excerpts of many letters in our files from happy users of RealSalt. Because every body is different, we do not claim that these results will hold true for everyone and encourage those concerned with their level of salt intake to consult their physician.

"I went to an iridologist working in Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan, Canada, and he prescribed it for me. My husband and I love it and use nothing else. We have introduced it to several others with high blood pressure who are now using it." Linda Bradley, Kailua-Kona HI

"After a long summer of babying heirloom tomato plants the payoff is so much more tasty using RealSalt!!!" Deni Conrad, Sparks, NV

"We think your salt is absolutely the best and can hardly abide so-called regular salt on our food now. Thank you for such a wonderful product" Jan Jones, Denver, Colorado

"I have been addicted to RealSalt since my first try. NOTHING compares. Thanks for a great product!" Patricia Banse, Westbrook, Maine

"I am a person who has in the past had dangerously high blood pressure. Due to much prayer and using your wonderful salt, it is now brought down to a good level." Judith A Reichil, Menahga, Minnesota

"How can salt taste so different? Well, we're hooked." Dan Russo, Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania

"RealSalt is the only salt I have used that doesn't bother my blood pressure and also has a great taste." Esther Wilson, Kansas City, Kansas

"With my husband's heart as bad as it is and the congestive heart failure as progressed as it is, I was extremely impressed with RealSalt. While we used it, his fluid retention dropped dramatically. He was able to reduce his Lasix intake without reducing his fluid intake and his doctor was very impressed too." -Beth Garner

"Your salt is the only kind I use-unequaled." -Anneka W. Lambert

"I hope you realize how good this salt you have is. It flavors food so well. Food does not taste good without it." -Irene Walquist

"I'll continue to use your salt for the rest of my life.... I could never go back to anything else." -George Stoddard

"I ordered a 2 oz. sample of your realsalt. My husband LOVED it! He reacted entirely TOO enthusiastically for a SALT! He says (and I agree) that the flavor is completely different from regular table salt...sweeter...or something...Im not sure. But whatever it is...we like it and will keep it on our table from now on! Thanks!" Anonymous,

"I live in Switzerland and I could not find real salt here. My stock of RealSalt is depleted, and I could not find a salt that is only nearly as tasty as RealSalt. Today I have tried to find your company on the internet and I have found you...Shipment is darn expensive but it's worth it. Great that you ship worldwide!" -Diego Muehlematter

"Superior, nuanced flavor! Ordinary salt seems one-dimensional beside it. " -C. Caballero

"I have high blood pressure and I am very sensitive to salt. However, RealSalt does not seem to affect my blood pressure at all! Thanks to RealSalt, I have not had to give up salt completely. It has a very pleasant taste as well, even in comparison to Hain's and other gourmet salts. " -J. A. White

"Good salt. I am so spoiled now I cannot use [any] other salt...Taste is so much milder, not bitter. I find I actually use less RealSalt than regualr salt. I carry RealSalt with me on trips." -David F. Barker

"I am 63 and have used your product for a few years now, have recommended it to friends. Have seen it cure gout, restless legs, flexability, etc." -Joseph Maddox

"You always get what you pay for. You can pay 99 cents a pound for potassium chloride, highly processed, loaded with aluminum DeathSalt; OR...You can use the expensive spread. You can actually obtain the Rolls Royce of Salt...It's called RealSalt. You get it at Redmond Minerals in Utah. Treat yourself! God Bless ya all, Redmond. " -Henry Walthall

"I love your salt. It's really helped with my high blood pressure. Thank You." -James Lumzy

"Just wanted to let you know you have a great product. Yes food can taste better if you have the right condiments-and RealSalt is a great beginning. Great flavor and healthful natural nutrients make a great product-can't do without it. Thanks a million." -Fernando Carboni,

"Tom my neighbor (with several physical problems) was complaining that his feet felt like two balls of fire and all his muscles were cramping, and he couldn't help work with me and had to lay down. I went next door and got two teaspoons of RealSalt, went back, gave him one in his mouth, told him to suck it till it salivated then drink two glasses of water. He did, lay down for 20 minutes and came back saying, 'I have no pain.' That was seven months ago. Tom uses RealSalt all the time and takes extra often AND hasn't had a pain since then. My herb person that told me about RealSalt twenty years ago, said that it was probably due to the Calcium content and possibly its working with RealSalt Minerals, that did the trick. I always take Real Salt whenever I have muscle pains." -Dr. Walter Peterson,

"I've used RealSalt for the past four years and there is no going back!!!!!!!!" -Barbara Skjonsby

"I heard about RealSalt through the Watercure 2 program. They recommend Celtic Sea Salt or RealSalt. I tried all three varieties of Celtic Sea Salt. RealSalt tastes better, gives me more energy, and is cheaper than Celtic Sea Salt!" -Carl Willems

"Terrific salt that enhances popcorn like no other salt I've ever consumed..." -Jeff Clow,

"I've been using RealSalt for about 6 months and I just love the taste. It seems to make everything taste a bit better." -Judy Green

"It's the only salt that doesn't cause me to retain water. If it wasn't for this salt, I would have to give up salt." -Dianne Gambill

"My Chiropractor is also a Nutritionist and has Realsalt in his ofice to sell. I retain water and he felt this would be very helpful as opposed to regular store bought refined table salt. I love it! It has helped so much and tastes so much better. I am slowly introducing it to some of my skeptical family members. I appreciate there being a healthier alternative out there. Thank you." -Nancy Mecadon

"I first tried your salt in Utah. Ohhh this is some good salt, even better is the season salt. Very wonderful flavor and perfect on EVERYTHING I love it. Thanks!" -Emily Greeley

"A friend gave me a jar in 2002 when my mother was real ill before her passing in November. I liked it, because it was not so strong. Now I find myself on a low sodium diet, and while I have a low salt threshold, I still like to cook some veggies with just a little. In comparing labels, I find that this salt not only tastes much better, but has about 1/6 the amount of sodium as regular salt. I am so happy to find your website. Wonderful!" -Frances McCoy

"My family and I really love to cook with this product because it does not take a lot of it to make the food good. Real Salt also allows us to enjoy our food and also watch our salt intake daily." -Linda Hudson

"Found a small shaker of gourmet salt and my husband and I loved it. Looked on label and found this web site to order more of this great tasting salt. Wonderful surprise to see so many different salts and products. I will be a return customer. I have read Dr. Rubin's book - The Maker's Diet and he recommends 'sea salt'." -Charleen Singer

"I test products for the National Health and Wellness Club. I received a sample shaker of the salt. I am very satisfied with it! I am on a diet plan that cuts out most sodium. I am glad to say that using this product has not affected my weight loss results. My husband and I will definitely continue to use this salt." -Edna Hall

"We use real salt where ever we go and continually promote it's great taste and health properties. I also recommend it to all of my clients, I am a Kinesiologist" -Cheryl McElroy

"Wonderful product!! It's so good that I'm giving "Real Salt" as Christmas presents!!" -John Ensign

"Your salt is amazing. I had been buying a shaker (4.75 oz. size) to travel with and leave with whomever I stayed with. (Now that I've discovered that you make a travel size, I"m going to buy those." Everyone I share it with has gotten hooked!" -Julia Rogers Hamrick

"We placed our first order last year and have used it almost all up and can't stand the idea of being without it. My swelling stopped and I think it is from the trace minerals in the Redmond Mineral salt. I started adding Redmond Mineral salt to Spring water (forget the plain water ...no minerals!) and things started improving for me alot. This product is true to what it says!" -Patricia Holmes

"My wife and I like to make homemade salsa from our garden in the summer. The recipe we use calls for salt. If we made a batch and did not finish it, the next day it would not taste as good as it was when made fresh. Then one day I heard about Real Salt and bought some. The next time we made salsa we used the Real Salt instead of the table salt we normally used. We did not finish that batch of salsa right away and put the remainder in the fridge for the next day. The next day, the salsa tasted as good as if it were fresh. Must have been the salt. Now we use Real Salt on everything!" -Joe

"I went on a business trip to Ogden and bought a small container of this salt...needless to say I should have bought a case!!! It's incredibly mild, yet imparts taste unknown. I will never, ever, go back to any other salt. Keep up the good work. THE ABSOLUTE BEST SALT I HAVE EVER TRIED..." -Laura Wilkinson

"My husband and I use nothing but RealSalt on all our foods now. Glad my order arrived so quickly since we were getting very low in our only RealSalt Sampler container. I bought a small sampler shaker of RealSalt...just to try this 'different' product salt out and my husband and I became 'hooked' immediately on the fantastic taste. Of course, I then went to your web site and placed our first order." -Charleen Singer

"I found RealSalt in St. George, Utah. Lordy it's changed my life! I'll never use traditional salt again. My cooking(including everything from eggs to taquitos) has recieved rave reviews when using RealSalt as contrasted with traditional salt. When I eat with RealSalt I am happy. What more can I ask? You too can find happiness in RealSalt!" -Larry Elson

"Real Salt is the bomb!!! After dinner, it just feels as if I have something great inside. I'm never going back!!" Gregory Young, Ruston, LA -Sharon Grimes
This is all great info to give our clients and help sell our NSP Sea Salt!!
http://www.realsalt.com/realsalt_faq.cfm

RealSalt Frequently Asked Questions We realize salt is something a lot of us don't spend much time thinking about, so when people hear about RealSalt gourmet sea salt we often hear the same questions. Take a look - you might just learn something new! What is Redmond RealSalt?

As its name implies, Redmond RealSalt® is-well, real salt. "Real salt, as opposed to what?" Very simply, RealSalt® as opposed to the so-called "salt" most people unsuspectingly use. It may surprise many people, but in its natural form, salt is not sparkly white or free flowing. Actually, the "table salt" and many sea salts most people are familiar with have been bleached, refined, and mixed with anti-caking agents and iodine. Many so-called "table salts" also contain sugar, in the form of dextrose-meant to cover or disguise an otherwise harsh and bitter flavor. In fact, a quick glance at the ingredients label on most "table salt" products might surprise you! In addition to sodium chloride, you'll probably find calcium silicate or sodium silicoaluminate, dextrose, and potassium iodide.

By contrast, Redmond RealSalt® is real salt-unrefined and natural-free from any additives or chemicals of any kind.

What are the Colored Specks in RealSalt?

RealSalt's unique "pinkish" appearance and flecks of color come from more than 50 natural trace minerals, including iodine. By contrast, other so-called "table salts" are white because of bleaching and refining. Click here for a complete mineral analysis.

Does RealSalt Come From Utah's Great Salt Lake?

No! RealSalt® does NOT come from Utah's Great Salt Lake. RealSalt® comes from an ancient salt deposit near the small town of Redmond, Utah, more than
150 miles south of the Great Salt Lake.

Isn't RealSalt More Expensive?

Even when used liberally, a family of four will likely use only one 26 oz. pouch of RealSalt® every five to six months. So actually, the daily cost of RealSalt® is less than a penny. Given the high cost of food these days and the fact that salt is the primary ingredient responsible for taste in food, it makes sense to use something natural that really enhances-rather than masks-the natural flavor of foods! Additionally, the rich savour of RealSalt means using less salt.

Is RealSalt Sea Salt?

Yes! During the earth's Jurassic era, a sea covered much of what is now North America. Over time the water in this sea evaporated, leaving the salt in a vast deposit in central Utah. A range of volcanoes erupted around the ancient seabed, sealing the salt and trace minerals from modern pollutants.

Is RealSalt® Different Than Other Sea Salts? Absolutely! And 35,000 chefs agree! In a professional taste test of top gourmet natural salts, RealSalt® was deemed the Best of Show and Gold Medal winner by professional chefs of the American Tasting Institute. However, don't just take our word for it. We encourage you to experience the RealSalt® difference yourself!

Take the RealSalt® taste test...First taste RealSalt®, then try any other salt. The difference will amaze you!

But Doesn't Everyone Know Salt Causes High Blood Pressure?

We definitely encourage anyone that may have high blood pressure to consult his or her health practitioner or physician. We also find the following health expert's comment interesting:

‘"I don't believe there is any basis whatsoever for a public health recommendation for eating any particular sodium content diet. A scientific problem ought to be solved by data. And there is no data."' ¹ What are the Health Benefits of Salt?

"[S]odium is crucial for maintaining the health of every cell in the human system. It permeates the fluid between cells (often called the ‘extracellular fluid') and potassium exists mainly on the inside of the cells (in the ‘intracellular fluid')...If either of these minerals is deficient or in excess, cell permeability becomes compromised and the health of all the cells suffers.

Besides being a component of extracellular fluid that bathes every living cell, sodium is important in two other ‘salty oceans' in the body-our blood and our lymphatic fluid. It is also necessary for the production of hydrochloric acid, the digestive enzyme secreted by the stomach in order to digest protein. Along with potassium, sodium is required for the proper functioning of our nerves and the contraction of our muscles... With the many crucial roles sodium plays, it's clear that if we had no sodium, we would cease to exist." ²

Gittleman also notes that "[R]educing sodium too much can be just as harmful as consuming large amounts of it. Too little can cause spasms, poor heart rhythms, sudden death and even increase the risk of heart attack in hypertensive patients." ³

1. Abigail Zuger, With Dietary Salt, What ‘Everyone Knows' Is in Dispute, N.Y. Times, Jan. 9, 2001, at F1. (quoting Dr. Michael Alderman, a professor of medicine and epidemiology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx and past president of the American Society of Hypertension).

2. Ann Louise Gittleman, N.D., M.S., Understanding Salt and Sodium, TOTAL HEALTH, Vol. 22, No. 2 at 42.

3. Id. For reprints of Ann Louise Gittleman's full article please contact us. -Sharon Grimes
Facts About Salt

A Rich History

Salt has become an inexpensive and readily available commodity that most of us take for granted. But in older times salt was heavily taxed and wars were fought over it. In some ancient civilizations, salt was in such high demand that it was actually minted into coins to serve as the basic currency.

Where salt was scarce, it became as valuable as gold. As the Roman states man Cassiodorus observed, "Some seek not gold, but there lives not a man who does not need salt." Salt was traded ounce-per-ounce with gold - if that were still the case we'd have to pay $300-$400 per ounce of salt!

Because everyone, rich and poor, craves salt, rulers going back at least as far as the Chinese emperor Yu in 2200 B.C. have tried mightily to control and tax it. Salt taxes helped finance empires throughout Europe and Asia, but also inspired a lively black market, smuggling rings, riots, and even revolutions.

Chemically Speaking

Pure salt consists of the elements sodium and chlorine. Its chemical name is sodium chloride and its formula is NaCl. Its mineral name is halite.

Table salt is a chemically simple combination of two components, sodium and chlorine. The basic components of salt are, by themselves, potentially dangerous. Sodium will ignite immediately if it comes into contact with water, and chlorine is poisonous if ingested. In combination, though, the two elements form sodium chloride, commonly known as salt.

The Human Side of SaltIn the body, salt is as important to humans as water or air, in fact each of us contain from four to eight ounces of salt. Salt helps maintain the normal volume of blood in the body and also helps keep the correct balance of water in and around the cells and tissues. It is also necessary for the formation and proper function of nerve fibers, which carry impulses to and from the brain, and plays an important part in the digestion of food and is essential in making the heart beat correctly.

The sodium found in salt is an essential nutrient. Sodium, together with calcium, magnesium and potassium, helps regulate the body's metabolism. In combination with potassium, it regulates the acid-alkaline balance in our blood and is also necessary for proper muscle functioning. When we don't get enough sodium chloride, we experience muscle cramps, dizziness, exhaustion and, in extreme cases, convulsions and death. Salt is essential to our well being.

For years, many researchers have claimed that salt threatens public health, mostly by contributing to high blood pressure. Recently, though, other researchers have begun to change salt's reputation. A recent review of salt studies conducted over the past two decades concluded that there's no reason for doctors to recommend reducing sodium intake for people with normal blood pressure. It may be that most of us are protected from excessive salt by our kidneys, which regulate the body's sodium level and eliminate any excess. Salt as a Healing AgentSalt cures aren't new. In the early 19th Century, sick people traveled to rudimentary spas such as French Lick Springs in Indiana and Big Bone Lick, Kentucky, to soak in salt springs. Today's more luxurious spas offer salt baths, glows, rubs and polishes to exfoliate dead skin, stimulate circulation and relieve stress.

The Source of Salt

All salts come from a sea, but not all salts come from the oceans we know today. The oceans that once covered the earth left a generous supply of salt beds and underground deposits which provide pure salt unpolluted by modern mankind. Crystaline salt deposits are found on every continent, from oceans that contained an estimated four-and-a-half million cubic miles of salt.

There are two basic methods for removing salt from the ground: room-and-pillar mining and solution mining. In room-and-pillar mining, shafts are sunk into the ground, and miners break up the rock salt with drills. The miners remove chunks of salt, creating huge rooms that are separated by pillars of salt. The room-and-pillar method requires that about half the salt be left behind as pillars. In solution mining, a well is drilled into the ground, and two pipes are lowered into the hole. The pipes consist of a small central pipe inside a larger pipe. The brine is either shipped as a liquid or evaporated in special devices called vacuum pans to form solid salt.

Salt's Many Uses

Only about five percent of the world's annual salt production ends up as seasoning at the dinner table. The vast majority pours into chemical plants, where it leads the five major raw materials utilized by industry: salt, sulfur, limestone, coal and petroleum.

Salt pickles cucumbers, helps pack meat, can vegetables, cure leather, make glass, bread, butter, cheese, rubber and wood pulp. Salt has some 14,000 uses, more than any other mineral.

Salt is essential. In humans, it is a basic component of taste, along with sweet, sour and bitter.

During the lifetime of the average American, he or she will use:

750 pounds of zinc
800 pounds of lead
1,500 pounds of copper
3,600 pounds of aluminum
26,000 pounds of clay
28,000 pounds of salt
33,000 pounds of iron
365,000 pounds of coal
1,240,000 pounds of sand, gravel and cement

In Your Kitchen

In cooking, salt acts as more than seasoning, pulling flavors together and accenting them. As a dry crystal, it preserves meat and fish by drawing out the moisture. It also acts as a meat tenderizer. It can be employed in a dough that is wrapped around meat or fish and turns into a flavor-sealing crust as it bakes.

Not all salt is the same. The ordinary table salt that most of us eat is too refined; it lacks the minerals we need. Also, yellow prussiate of soda and other additives and preservatives are added to prevent caking, dextrose is even added to improve flavor. About half of all table salt is supplemented with potassium iodide, which wards off goiter. RealSalt contains 50 natural occurring trace minerals like calcium, potassium, sulphur, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, manganese, copper, iodine and zinc.
http://www.realsalt.com/salt_facts.cfm -Sharon Grimes
Q: I didn't realize the NSP's Sea Salt is RealSalt. How did you find that out? If that's the case I'll have to start promoting it. I love RealSalt. I've used it for years. The company also makes Redmond Clay which is what I use for clay baths. -Steven Horne
Blake Christensen told me at Leader's Conference when I was talking to him about developing a more potent iodine product; one of the top execs at RealSalt is the next-door neighbor to one of NSP¹s top execs and they are in the same ward. -Sharon Grimes
Dr. Brownstein has a new book out on salt that would be a great promotional tool for this item. He just sent me one and it is great! -Kimberly Balas
Real Salt comes from a dried sea bed in Utah. The advantage here is that the salt is not contaminated with modern pollutants such as mercury and crude oil and other fun things we have these days. However, Celtic Sea Salt is very good. It would definitely be next on my list if Real Salt were not available. It is raked up out of the ocean in France, dried in the sun and otherwise untreated. Either of these are preferable to other sea salts out there that have been whitened and the iodine content standardized. -Ann Jones
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: