Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar Wed 28, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) Reply with quote

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do for Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy? I have a client that has had it for 2 years and has found no help. -Marlene Grabell
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GABA Plus, Super Antioxidants, B-Complex, Colloidal Minerals, Skeletal Strength, Aloe Vera. -Susan Lebovitz
Bowen Therapy is great for RSD Syndrome. See if there is a Bowen Practitioner in your area. I have a list is you need me to look it up. -Brenda Holcomb
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Fact Sheet

WHAT: RSD is a complex multi-symptom pain syndrome affecting a limb or limbs that can affect any one of any age It usually occurs following tissue damage to the limb, but it can also be triggered by visceral diseases, central nervous system lesions or from unknown causes. It goes under a variety of names, including Complex Regional Pain Syndrome I (CRPS I). Disability: RSD is a major cause of disability because only 20% of patients are able to fully resume prior activities.
Symptoms: All RSD patients suffer from pain, usually burning in nature. Other possible symptoms include: Abnormally acute sensitivity to stimulus (hot, cold, touch, pressure), Diminished sensitivity to stimulus (both can occur in the same patient), Sweating, Edema , Pain from mechanical stimulation or movement , Muscle weakness , Joint stiffness, Anxiety , Depression Muscle atrophy, Tremors, Changes in hair and nail growth , Discoloration of the limb, Changes in limb temperature, Arthropathy, Osteoporosis, Intolerance to noise, Intolerance to stress, Increased pain and symptoms at night, Reactions to weather changes. Diagnosis: When diagnosed and treated within the first three to 6 months, there is the highest possibility of cure and treatment of RSD is most effective. Unfortunately RSD is not well known within much of the medical community so diagnosis is often overlooked. Further, many uninformed medical personnel have categorized the symptoms as psychosomatic or malingering delaying treatment for years. There is no single test for diagnosing RSD. Instead diagnosis is made through observation of the patient's signs and symptoms followed by lab tests, which include thermography, three-phase bone scans (scintigraphy), X-rays, quantitative sweat tests and diagnostic nerve blocks.

Treatment: This is no cure for RSD. Treatment in the first three to six months after onset with nerve blocks, medications and physical therapy has been reasonably effective. After six months treatment becomes harder and the success rate diminishes the longer one has RSD. Early treatments include sympathetic nerve blocks, medication (such as tricyclic antidepressives, anticonvulsive, beta blockers, and NSAIDs), physical therapy, psychotherapy, and electrical stimulation. More invasive treatments are often used in the later stages of RSD, including chemical sympathectomies, spinal cord stimulators, dorsal column stimulators, and possibly morphine pumps. Though still used by some doctors, surgical sympathectomies and amputation of the affected limb are not effective and cause serious side effects.

Prognosis: Treatment and success rate will improve as more practitioners are made aware of the symptoms and effective treatments. More research is needed to determine the systems through which RSD operates. Double blind studies are needed to determine the effectiveness of most common treatments of RSD.

References:
Janig, Wilfred and Stanton-Hicks, Michael (eds.), Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy: A Reappraisal, Progress in Pain Research and Management, Vol. 6. IASP Press, Seattle, 1996.
Portenoy, Russell K. and Kanner, Ronald M. (eds.), Pain Management: Theory and Practice, Contemporary Neurology Series, F.A. Davis Company, Philadelphia, 1996.
Raj, P. Prithvi (ed.), Pain Medicine: A Comprehensive Review, Mosby, St. Louis, 1996.
Warfield, Carol A. (ed.), Principles and Practice of Pain Management, McGraw- Hill, Inc., NEW York, 1993.
For more information contact: The Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Network Karen Strauss, Executive Director 280 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10025 Fax: 212-666-6722
I would try all the anti-inflammatory products, especially, essential fatty acids. I have heard the Omega-3 EPA oils help even ankylosing spondylitis, another especially tricky autoimmune disease. -Muriel Hykes
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Q: A friend's daughter has been diagnosed with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy which is a nerve pain syndrome that occurs as a result of trauma. Unfortunately .....grrrrr the ah Doctor....who treated her thru workman's comp ignored her and didn't start treatment right away. Now it has spread from her leg and the Dr she is seeing says we need to investigate everything as no one thing works. I am checking out the herbs route because ...the narcotic isn't helping that much and now they want her off the narcotics. What can you tell me. I know you have had a lot of pain relief with the program you follow. She is in a lot of pain, off work and looking outside traditional medicine. Any suggestions from the NSP herbal community? Thank you... -Carolyn Kaye
Liquid Lobelia, Magnesium. -Kimberly Balas
I have a client w/ RSD who was on meds for five years. Her liver become swollen and was sore to touch and she continued going down hill. She took herself off all her meds and her husband came to see me for help. I started w/ Food Enzymes, Chlorophyll, Coral Calcium, Skeletal Strength, Noni (she says she drinks the stuff), IGF-1. Her energy is up, pain is gone, depression is gone!!!!!!!!

We ordered her products in Mid December. This week she told me that she had one bottle of Noni left. She started to feel better within one month. She did some vomiting, which could have been caused by the liver detoxing from the Milk Thistle Comb. The swelling in the liver went down within weeks and the pain also. Her joints also are so much better. I spoke w/ her two days ago and think she might have developed an ulcer from the meds she was on. The area of pain could indicate that. She is writing her story for me, because I too know several people w/ RSD. -Inge Wetzel
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: