Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Networking for the Fun of It!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Business Building Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sun 17, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Networking for the Fun of It! Reply with quote

Networking for the Fun of It!

Why is networking so important? Because it is a comprehensive business strategy that if used properly, can be a truly effective method of generating qualified referrals. This is something I believe with all my heart. I also think that sometimes we get so caught up in the desire to succeed in business that we lose sight of the fact that networking seeing people, being seen by people, finding the common links and bonds, gathering and distributing information, and everything else that goes along with contributing to and capitalizing on our various spheres of influence is more than a business strategy. It is a game, a sport, a very fun thing to do. Indeed, it is a way of life, for no matter what we do or what we seek, we rely upon our centers of influence in all facets of our lives.

Think about the professionals whose services you employ: your doctor, your lawyer, your hairdresser, your kids' preschool, etc. In all likelihood, you did not find these important people through the yellow pages. You probably asked someone whose opinion you trusted if they could refer you to the people they're using. You, yourself have been asked for referrals all through your life, too, but probably haven't paid attention to the importance your opinion plays in the lives of others.

Today I would like to challenge you to simply become more aware of how much in your life comes a result of being connected to others. Forget about networking for business gain for a moment. Concentrate on having some fun with the concept of networking and try to fully understand how much each of us impacts the lives of others. Once you start to realize how much fun figuring out HOW networking works, it will come to you naturally when you are in a business situation.

Therefore, to help you understand the concept better, I challenge you to:

( Rent the movie, "Six Degrees of Separation." Invite a crowd over to view it with you. (Coaches, consider asking some of your clients to join in, too.) It's a good movie, and offers an excellent lesson in how we are only six degrees (people) away from anyone, anywhere we want or need to meet. As an exercise, after the movie, ask your "audience" to come up with the occupation or name of someone they'd like to meet and then see what resources and connections you have right in front of you. You'll be amazed at who knows someone who knows someone, who knows someone, etc., who can help you connect with the person you're seeking. Once you've got the idea down in theory, it's easy to transfer to your everyday life. It will become very easy to know what questions to ask and to chart a course to the person you need to meet.
( Play the Movie Star Version of Six Degrees of Separation. On a road trip, at a party or even over dinner, name two movie stars and have your friends try to connect them to each other via associations with other movie stars. Try to connect them through six or fewer celebrities. You can check your answers out at http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~bct7m/ menu.html This is one of my favorite sites on the internet for it underscores in a very fun way that our lives are all so interwoven.

( Hop on over to http://www.sixdegrees.com where 2/3 of their three million plus members are interconnected in one giant chain they call the Big Cloud. Become a member of six degrees and start networking online with people all over the world. You can meet new people through hundreds of interest groups and see how you're connected through your friends, clients, relatives, etc.

( At a social gathering, solicit someone you want to get to know, for no other reason than they look interesting to you, and see how many people and things you have in common.

( Chart your family tree. Have you ever heard that you're related to someone famous? Well if you want to see if Napoleon is really your distant cousin, start mapping out your family tree, There are many great books out there and a plethora of software, too, that can show you the ropes. This is also a great way to get the whole family involved.

( Keep track of every referral you give or ask for in the course of a week by writing them down in your daytimer. Be sure to include everything from, "That's a nice dress. Where did you get it?" to giving a bona fide business referral. You'll be amazed at how many times we either rely on others' opinions or are ourselves instrumental in connecting others to the resources or people they are seeking.

( Ask your friends if they have ever met someone famous. Chances are someone's got a great story tell. Make sure you ask them how they got past the "gatekeeper" to meet that special someone. If you like to write, ask if you can write their story down, then send it to me and I'll share it with the Networking Gazette readers.

( Host a chain party. Invite three couples who are close friends to a dinner party in your home. Ask each couple to bring a main dish large enough to serve eight or nine people. Ask each of these couples to also invite another couple who will bring a vegetable dish to serve eight or nine people. Ask each "vegetable" couple to invite a couple who will bring a salad. Each "salad" couple must invite a couple who will bring a dessert. As the hosts, you provide the drinks, hors d'oeuvres, wine for the meal, bread, butter, etc. I know this sounds confusing, but if you follow the directions, you'll windup with 13 couples, (three entree couples, three vegetable couples, three salad couples, three dessert couples and you) each of whom knows one or two of the other couples, but not everyone will know ALL of the couples! By the end of the evening, you will all have expanded your networks significantly.

Networking is singularly the most cost-effective way to promote a product or service, and if done properly can yield rewards for years to come. If done improperly, without any understanding of the subtleties of how it works, networking can easily become the biggest time waster available to the 21st century businessperson. Try some of the suggestions above for a week, and I guarantee you that if you didn't understand before what all the fuss is about regarding networking, you will by the end of the week...AND you will have had some fun in the process.

Leni Chauvin, Speaker, Trainer, Writer AND... The Business Coach For People Who Want More Business
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Business Building Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: