Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Years Resolutions - Keep

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Business Building Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sun 17, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: New Years Resolutions - Keep Reply with quote

New Years Resolutions - Keep

Seven Steps to Keeping Your New Year's Resolution
By Mark Goulston, M.D.

How much money would you bet that you're going to keep your New Year's Resolutions this year? Just think of what it will do to your self-esteem if you could pull it off! These tips can help.

1. Be realistic
Don't confuse reasonable expectations with realistic expectations. Reasonable means "makes sense." Realistic means "likely to happen." It may be reasonable to stop smoking, start a new diet and begin exercising, but it may not be realistic to change all of them at once.

2. Set specific goals
Most people have a clearer idea of how they want to feel (as in happier, healthier, richer) than they have a clear picture of what things need to be done to get there. You know the saying, "Where there's a will, there's a way." The reverse is more often true, i.e. "Where there's a way, there's a will." Have a step-by-step plan for how to achieve your goals.

3. Write it down
You wouldn't build a house without a blueprint, would you? Write down what you need to stop doing and what you need to start doing to reach your goals. Writing down your goals and plans increases your commitment.

4. Tell other people
Telling other people you're going to do something increases your commitment. Select people that you respect and admire, and whose respect you would like to receive.

5. Use the buddy system
Partner with someone who is also trying to keep their New Year's resolutions to increase your dedication. Stopping negative habits and replacing them with positive behavior is easier when you have a buddy system with a good friend or coworker. Doing New Year's Resolutions with another person reduces the pain of doing without that unhealthy habit you're trying to break.

6. Eliminate energy vampires
One reason you fall off diets and exercise programs [This could include business-building programs too] is that you need a quick fix every time you deal with negative people or no-win situations. These can be so exhausting that you say "the heck with" your diet or exercise and grab a candy bar or bail on exercising. Find a way to reduce contact with these people and situations and you'll dramatically increase your energy and be able to stay on track.

7. Stick with it
Realize that it takes 30 days for a change in behavior to become a habit (this may explain why they give out 30 day chips for maintaining sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous) and six months for a habit to become a natural part of your personality.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
New Year's Revolutions

No, that's not a typo--I mean REVOLUTIONS! The new year is always a popular time to make changes, acquire new habits and lose bad habits. This year, the pressure seems to be especially high. (If it makes you feel better, remember that the new millennium doesn't really start 'til 1/1/2001. So you can ignore all the hype and know you have another year before the new century and millennium begin.)

Take advantage of the spirit of the season and make the changes you need to make to be successful. Don't be timid--take big steps. Start by revolutionizing your thinking. When looking for a solution to a problem, don't just use the first idea that comes along. Unlike when we were in school, there is often more than one correct answer. Don't stop looking for that answer until you've come up with several. Then, consider the pluses and minuses of each before settling on a solution.

Take old ideas and turn them on their heads. Instead of doing something because you always have, or because everyone else does, or "that's just the way it is" look for ways to improve on those old ideas. Ask "why" you are doing things the way you are. Are those ways as successful as you'd like? Might you be more successful trying something else? Ask "why not". Is there something that you're not doing now? Why not try it? Is there a visibility strategy you've been thinking of trying? A new product or service your customers want? Why not try that strategy or introduce that new product now?

Get rid of the fear. Fear is good when it keeps us from doing things which are dangerous. But too often, fear keeps us from doing anything which is new or different. Don't let fear make decisions for you. I always ask myself, "What is the worst thing that can happen if I try this and fail?" In business, the answer usually is that I will be out a little time and a little money, and I may feel a little embarrassed that I failed with something I thought was a good idea. All things considered, that's not a big risk. Learn to assess the possible risks against the possible rewards.

Don't just sit there, do something! The biggest change for many of us would be simply taking action. Don't let "analysis paralysis" stop you from acting. Look for great new ideas, then put them in motion. You don't have to have the perfect idea at the perfect time executed in the perfect way for it to work. A good idea at the right time can be just what you need to make a big difference. If you're not ready to jump in with both feet, test your idea by implementing it on a small scale. Use what you learn to improve it, then try again.

Change your way of thinking, be open to new ideas, and shake off the fear. Then, go out there and make things happen! (Gee, I got through this whole article without using the word "paradigm" once!) Cathy Stucker, The Idea Lady cathy@idealady.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Business Building Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: