Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Mountain Don't Care"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Business Building Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sun 17, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: "The Mountain Don't Care" Reply with quote

"The Mountain Don't Care"

By Steven Taibbi

When most people get involved in Network Marketing, it's their first attempt at being self-employed. consequently, many of them don't understand just how important the word "self" in self-employed really is. As sponsors, our job is to help new distributors through this transition. During a recent training in my organization, I came up with this story to help the newer distributors understand just what the phrases "Excuses Are Useless" and "Whatever It takes" really mean. The story is called "The Mountain Don't Care."

In a land far away is a town nestled in the beautiful valley. At one end of the valley is a mountain-the most beautiful mountain in all the world. The townspeople found that just looking at this mountain was an incredible source of inspiration. It was so beautiful to look at, so compelling, that everyone in the town wanted to climb it. They knew that the people who had actually climbed the mountain and reached the pinnacle, were virtually transformed and enriched in every way imaginable-spiritually, emotionally and financially. These successful climbers lived peaceful, happy lives of abundance, free of the fears of those who have too little money and not enough time.

Every morning as they set off to work, the denizens of the town looked up at the mountain, vowing to themselves that someday they would climb it. At the end of the day, after leasing away another eight hours of their lives, they returned home and wistfully looked at the mountain again. The setting sun made it look especially beautiful. Someday, they would say to themselves. After dinner, they would get a cup of tea, and on their way to their favorite chair, see the mountain through their window. Someday, they would again say to themselves, as they settled down in front of the TV.

Some people, however, decided that they would climb the mountain. Some of them only got as far as the base of the mountain. When they looked up and saw how high and steep it was, they decided it was too much for them, turned around and went home. Others got about one quarter of the way to the top and just couldn't go on. You mean, they would say to themselves, I've been climbing for a whole day already and I've only reached the one-quarter mark? Climbing this mountain was just too darn hard, they'd conclude, and besides, what is that rascal Fraiser up to tonight?

Some climbed as far up as three quarters of the height of the mountain. They were bruised a little, their hands hurt, and even this height up the pinnacle seemed just as far away as it did from the mountain's base. They'd say to themselves, Uncle Mick, or my husband, or my friend was right! This is impossible– a regular person like me could never make it to the top. So back down they would go, their dreams of climbing to the top getting dashed on the rocks as they dragged them down with them. But a few of them did make it to the top. The view filled their hearts and minds with beauty, peace and a sense of accomplishment. They had the added pleasure of being in the company of people just like them-men and women who never gave up on a dream, and who now, and for the rest of their lives, will live the way most only dream of living.

How did the mountain feel in all of this? Did the mountain care that some people went as far as the base and then returned home without even making an attempt? No. The mountain don't care. Did the mountain care that some got three-quarters of the way up before They gave up on themselves? The mountain don't care. Does the mountain ever care that some people got to the top and reaped fabulous rewards for their efforts? No, it doesn't. The mountain don't care. (At this point, an audience member, who is a preacher, started beating me to the tag line, nodding his head as he said, "mountain don't care." Soon, the room had joined him and it sounded more like a revival than a training!) Does the mountain care if you don't have a lot of money, and it might be a bit of a challenge for you to buy the equipment you need? The mountain don't care. Does the mountain care if you're young and able or older and out of shape? The mountain don't care. Does the mountain care if you're black, white or purple? Does it care if you are physically challenged or blind or in perfect health? Does it care if you're motivated or a couch potato? The mountain don't care. If you want something, it's you who has to care, you who has to either make it happen or not. The decision is yours because the bottom line is the mountain don't care!

The story did wonders for the organization. Now, when they start to complain, distributors who know the story cut themselves off, saying "I know, I know, the mountain don't care." Remembering it inspires us to work through whatever challenge we're facing. It's actually become something of a rallying cry for the group. I hope you find this story as helpful as we did.

"Reprinted with permission from Upline November, 1997, pg 23, 1-888-UPLINE1"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Business Building Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: