Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby - Infant Formulas & Feeding

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Baby - Infant Formulas & Feeding Reply with quote

Baby - Infant Formulas & Feeding

This page goes into discussion on baby formulas and starting solid foods.

Baby/Infant Formula

Q -- I was told SMA Baby Formula was taken off the market and not available for purchase. However, I find it readily available in Brittan. Does anyone know where to find the product? -Deborah Davis
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It is available under the name of Parents Choice at WalMart. Wyeth Lab makes it, and they market it under the WalMart name. I used it for my son who is now 15 years old, and I swear by this formula. I now babysit and searched and searched for it, and called wyeth lab. You can type in Google and SMA and it will tell you the same thing. I was going to order it from Brittan until I found this out. I have now been using it for the child I babysit, and it is the same thing. Enjoy! -Terri
Raw goat's milk would be a much better option! -Sharon Grimes
You don't want go by what anyone says is the best. My daughter is on Prosobee which is the soy formula and is alot gentler on their stomachs. The other iron fortified gave my baby alot of gas pain. She's been fine ever since. -Dina
I have been using Enfamil Lipil with Iron, Infant formula since my daughter was 5 weeks. It has only been used, up until recently, as a supplement in case I had problems producing enough milk because of my hectic work schedule. I also wanted her to have a bottle of formula a couple of times a week cause what if I got sick or something. She does great with it, no problems with anything.

As for the other postings concerning how you should wait and breast milk is the best, they are so right but you know lots of us were formula fed and we turned out great. My pediatrician. said anything after the first 3 months was great. There is too much pressure now days on mom to keep breast feeding and when their milk starts drying up or traumatic things occur in their lives and disrupts their breast feeding they feel like failures and they are not. I know too many people who have had felt they weren't adequate because they stopped to early for whatever reasons. -Dina
I don't happen to agree with your pediatrician, but then, I'm from the generation before you that could be home with our babies and didn't follow any advice from the pediatrician as far as nutrition was concerned. I listened more to my Mom than anyone. I think we were much more calm, breast-fed longer and didn't have the hassles you girls have today. My daughters all breast-fed for much shorter a period of time than I did, but they all did it at least 6 months and then went directly to goat's milk. They wouldn't touch formula and the goat's milk was powdered and easy to use with no bad effects at all. I didn't pressure any of my girls either into breast-feeding or doing it longer than they wanted, but I'll tell you, you can't replace that bonding feeling of nursing an older child (I am talking about a year to two years) for anything and it is a true bonding. I found it to be one of the most rewarding periods of my life. I feel for you young girls today who work and have to put your babies in daycare, I really do. It's not an easy life for you at all. babyorganic.com -Nolee
Our preemie grandson was beginning to be weaned at 19 months and had always awakened every 2 hrs. demanding to be fed during the night. He was put on goats milk and immediately slept through the night. He has been on it for the last 3 months and is doing great. -Neda Herman
I am the mom of a ten-year-old boy that suffered for years from undetected dairy allergies. I have since come to discover that most humans are allergic to cow's milk - it is a matter of degree. (This is why mucous forms when dairy products are eaten.) I would highly recommend the book, "Don't Drink Your Milk," by Frank A. Oski, M.D., who was the Director of Pediatrics at Johns Hopkins. My understanding is that goat's milk is close to human milk in composition. On an NSP note, why not recommend soy milk like Tofu Moo? My kids love it and soy has all kinds of health benefits. If the mom is worried about adequate calcium, she can add the Herbasaurs Chewable Calcium. -Laura
Check out www,notmilk.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A word of caution: Preaching doesn't work. All milk is not evil or God wouldn't have let the Israelites drink it! I realize that milk from dairy herds kept in feed lots is horrid, but my family only gets sick when it does not have good milk. But we know the cows, and the cows don't get antibiotics, neither they nor their mothers. So before you get all preachy, remember what works for you may not work for your nephew. Calm down and go at this reasonably. The child's vaccinations may be far more evil than the milk he may well be able to handle--you may not like milk, but oats would literally kill me--I'm not allergic, but totally intolerant of oats, but I do not preach the "evils" of oats to anyone else. -Marilyn Navarro
DVD/video called Healthy Kids, Naturally. It's based on NSP products and gives lots of herbal and nutritional info for children from newborns up to 12 years old.
Judith Cobb/Cobblestone Health Ltd
Infant - Introducing Solid Food
For a nursing infant, at what age should solid foods be introduced? Which foods? And in what order? Any other guidelines that would be helpful? -Cynthia Russell
Infant can be nursed for up to two years if you find it possible. No starches for 1st year - baby has no amylase to break it down until after 1st year. Mild vegetables, fruits (both mushed up) and soy milk, goat whey, Chlorophyll, Spirulina are good starters. Avoid formulas, white sugar, white flour and too much dairy. -Mike
Just wanted to add that the WHO recommends children be nursed for at LEAST two years, and breast milk certainly doesn't lose its benefits once they hit the two year mark. :) As long as the baby is nursing, there's no rush to introduce new foods. Some babies don't show an interest in eating food until around one year! -K. Amspacker
I just wanted to add that bananas are the best first food because they have everything you need in it to survive. I learned from La Leche League that any foods introduced in the first year(which shouldn't be done before 6months I would think) are mainly for the baby to play with and test. Not actually needed for survival because all the nutrients they need are in breast milk and they usually still have that tongue reflex which pushes the food out. Some signs that a baby is ready for solids are: able to sit without being propped, showing interest in food and if the tongue reflex is gone. (I can't remember what it's called when they push their food out. sorry.) -Stephanie
This is how our allergy/homeopathic doctor had us start our grandchild on food. She didn't really get interested in food until after 7 months.
Veggies first--we handed her a whole stalk of steamed asparagus, or green beans, or Broccoli just to get her to adjust to flavors and introduce food. Shortly after we used the baby food mill to actually start her on a few small spoonfuls. We did this for weeks.
Meat next---starting with some fish and chicken and then introducing beef. All thru the food mill. But he had us rotate the choices. Nix on hotdogs and processed meats.
Grains next----after 1 year of age. Then we rotated millet, rice, rye, oats etc so that we didn't repeat a grain until the 4th or 5th day. We didn't add wheat because of family wheat allergies. We used baby biscuits from the health food store for her to teeth on.
Fruits last, because they will always take to fruit--but if they get this first he told us they get used to the high sugar content, and then forget them liking veggies.
It worked--loves veggies, and she is not a problem eater even at 4.
For fluid we gave her R.O water since she nursed until two. No fruit juices because of the high sugar content---no milk or other dairy. We introduced rice and goat milk later on.

When we juice now, her favorite is beet with apple and lemon---homemade lemonade.
Anyway, we felt like we were going against mainstream thinking doing it this way but it was worth the effort. She is an excellent eater and didn't have the ear infections and other problems other mommies were putting up with. -Ardis Nehlich
Don't introduce solids before 6 months, and hold off to 9 months if at all possible. Start with orange veggies and continue to all veggies, then meats (but not before 12 months), then grains after 15 months, then fruit. -Judith Cobb
Generally around 6 months. A wonderful book on this subject is "Mommy Made and Daddy Too" by Martha and David Kimmel.
My daughter used this as a guide for all three of her children. The reason for certain foods at certain ages is that if they are given certain foods at too early an age, it can cause food allergies later in life. Hope this helps you. -Georgiana
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: