Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bell's Palsy

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Bell's Palsy Reply with quote

Bell's Palsy

I have a client who has MS. I have been working with him for over two years. He was on St. John's Wort but lives with a medical doctor and she decided that he needed Zolof (50 mg. a day) about 5 days ago. She also put him on Prednisone. Four days ago she noticed that his face was drawing. He has no pain, no twitching, but can't open his eye on his own and drool leaks out of his mouth when he drinks. She has diagnosed him with Bell's palsy. He is also in the Betaseron trial. We have no idea whether he is actually getting the Beatseron or a placebo. -Paula
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I was struck with this 18 years ago,(doctor induced) and learned it needed calcium, magnesium, B Vitamins and Vitamin E and C, Grapine, and minerals. I used chiropractor and magnetic therapy also. -Elaine
Nature's Treasure Chest tells us to use Ginkgo Biloba, Mind-Max, Lobelia, Alfalfa, Suma Combination. I would add Nutri Calm for the nerves. The Alfalfa is to stimulate the pituitary gland. Grapine for the free radicals, (Pryuvate is also good for this) Mega-Chel for mineral maintenance, and COQ10 for cellular energy. -Irene
We have had success with the following program as detailed in Recipes for Success: Bell's Palsy: HVP*, Alfalfa*, and Horsetail (all used together), and Nutri-Calm with Calcium. -Kay
This information was on the forum a few weeks ago:
Left side is sodium deficiency
Right side is Potassium deficiency

Work on thyroid, VS-C, L-lysine. I would also recommend Ginkgo Extract Time release, Grapine with Protectors, Nutri-Calm. -Nedra Denison
Frank Meisse says to take 33 B-Complex a day for 3 days. That's a whole bottle in 3 days. The urine will be very yellow. -Ann Souther
It seems to me that in one of Dr. Whitman's classes it was said that you should take a full bottle of B-Complex in 3 days for Bell's Palsy. -J.J.B.
Q: A new client had dental surgery and one side of his face fell. Has been this way for about 8 months and doctors say it is Bell's Palsy and should eventually disappear. He recently tried 100 B complex tablets over three days. (33 each day 11/11/11). There was no change. -Gail Pfaff
Maybe it's not typical Bell's Palsy and actually a more severe nerve damage. Bell's Palsy is an inflammation of one of the nerves that come into the face from behind the ear lobe. This causes temporary paralysis to the side of the face affected. I had this a while back. I remember having pain behind my ear lobe and eventually that side of my face became paralyzed. I could feel, just not move. That was BH (before herbs). The doctor put me on an anti-inflammatory and it went away completely in no more than 2 weeks. Sometimes I still do experience that pain behind my ear lobe. I often wonder if it is related to TMJ that comes and goes. -Chottsie
Muscle test for sodium & potassium levels depending on which side of the face fell.
There is an excellent reference book for this, The Ultimate Healing System, by Dr. Donald Lepore, ND. I worked with a Bell's Palsy case and we increased minerals (hers was potassium), plus I muscle tested for other products, which we added in to her program. Within two weeks her face was back to normal. It is available from Nutritional Resources. -Glenda Hadley
I had Bell's Palsy a couple of years ago (I am now 38). It was a scarey thing like you say. But mine went away completely, from not being able to blink even on one side, to completely better. It took quite a while, I can't remember how long but it seemed to last forever. Be sure your Mother does not sleep on the side that her eye doesn't shut, if that is a problem, as I was told your open eye can rub on the pillows while you sleep and cause abrasions. -Dene
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
It is inflammation of one of the nerves of the face causing the nerve to swell and consequently become pinched in the foramen. I would use Skeletal Strength (one with each meal), Nutri-Calm (one with each meal) and Combination Eight. -Duane Weed
Sometime Bell's Palsy can be caused by a viral infection which affects the facial nerves. Is it was of sudden onset and your client experienced viral or bacterial symptoms before the onset, it's possible that the infection could be the cause. Along with the other recommendations, I would try an anti-viral/anti-bacterial. I haven't had much experience with Olive Leaf, but the Elderberry Combo is a favorite. -Bill Hays
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I've had Bell's Palsy. Here's some info on it:
Synonyms: Facial Nerve Palsy, Refrigeration Palsy, Facial Paralysis, Idiopathic Facial Palsy, Antoni's Palsy. Bell's Palsy is a nonprogressive
facial nerve disorder characterized by the sudden onset of facial paralysis.

Paralysis results from decreased blood supply (ischemia) and/or compression of the 7th cranial nerve. The early symptoms of Bell's Palsy may include a slight fever, pain behind the ear, a stiff neck, and weakness and/or stiffness on one side of the face. The symptoms may begin suddenly and progress rapidly over several hours, and sometimes follow exposure to cold or a draft. Part or all of the face may be affected.

In most cases of Bell's Palsy, only facial muscle weakness occurs and the facial paralysis is temporary. Occasionally, only the upper or lower half the face is affected. In severe cases of Bell's Palsy, the facial muscles on the affected side are completely paralyzed, causing that side of the face to become smooth, expressionless, and immobile. Often the opening between the upper and lower eyelids (palpebral fissure) is enlarged and remains open during sleep. This may result in the inability to close the eye on the affected side. People with Bell's Palsy may not have a corneal reflex; the eye on the affected side does not close when the cornea is touched. If the compressed region of the facial nerve is next to the branching of other nerves, there may be a decrease in saliva and/or tear production. Some people with Bell's Palsy experience a loss of the sense of taste on one side of the mouth and an increased sensitivity to sound (hyperacusis) on the affected side of the head. In some cases, a patient's response to a pinprick behind the ear also is decreased.

Recovery from Bell's Palsy depends on the extent and severity of damage to the 7th cranial nerve. If facial paralysis is only partial, complete recovery can be expected. The affected muscles usually regain their original function within 1 to 2 months. If, as recovery proceeds, the nerve fibers regrow to muscles other than the ones they originally innervated, there may be voluntary muscle movements of the face accompanied by involuntary contractions of other facial muscles (synkinesia). Crocodile tears (tears not brought on by emotion) associated with facial muscular contractions occasionally develop in the aftermath of Bell's palsy.

Causes: The exact cause of Bell's Palsy is not known. Viral and immune disorders (i.e., herpes zoster virus) are often implicated as a cause for
this disorder. There may also be an inherited tendency toward developing Bell's Palsy. Symptoms develop due to deficiency of blood supply and pressure on the 7th cranial nerve as a result of nerve swelling. Bell's Palsy is a fairly prevalent disorder that affects males and females in equal numbers. It is estimated that between 25 and 35 in 100,000 people in the United States are affected with Bell's Palsy.

Therapies: Standard Initial treatment for Bell's Palsy attempts to relieve the pressure on the facial nerve in order to minimize and/or prevent permanent nerve damage. Massage and mild electrical stimulation of the paralyzed muscles can help maintain facial muscle tone and prevent the loss of muscle function. Treatment with oral corticosteroid drugs, such as Prednisone, has been more successful than surgical attempts to widen the facial canal. Methylcellulose eye drops, eyeglasses or goggles, and/or temporary patching may help to protect the exposed eye of people with Bell's Palsy if they cannot close the eye. Therapies: Investigational The drug acylovir (Zovirax), an antiviral medication, is being used to treat some cases of Bell's Palsy; acylovir may be used by itself or in combination with Prednisone. It is thought that this drug may be effective in those cases of Bell's Palsy thought to be caused by the herpes zoster virus. Further investigation is needed to determine the long-term safety and effectiveness of this treatment for Bell's Palsy.

Consult a qualified herbalist. (Put your name, etc below)

*Bell's Palsey:
*HVP, *Alfalfa, and *Horsetail (All Used Together)
*Nutri-Calm with Calcium - to feed the nerves
*Combination Potassium - Jonas Yoder, noted herbalist, states that all
palsy is caused by a lack of potassium
*St. John's Wort *L-Lysine (keeps the suspected virus dormant) *Combination 8; eight herbs to feed nerve and stimulate circulation. *33 B 100's for three days in a row, for Bell's: 11 at breakfast, 11 at lunch and 11 at dinner. *VS-C (For Herpes and all Viruses)

According to Donald LePore in "The Ultimate Healing System" Bell's Palsy on the left side indicates a sodium deficiency and on the right side a potassium deficiency.
For more information on Bell's Palsy, contact:
*National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD), P.O. Box 8923, New Fairfield, CT 06812-1783, (203) 746-6518

*IH/National Institute of Neurological Disorders & Stroke (NINDS), 9000 Rockville Pike Bethesda, MD 20892 (301) 496-5751, (800) 352-9424

References
*Mendelian Inheritance In Man, 10th Ed.:Victor A. McKusick, Editor, Johns Hopkins University Press,1992.Pp. 376.
*Cecil Textbook Of Medicine, 19th Ed.: James B. Wyngaarden, and Lloyd H. Smith, Jr., Editors; W.B. Saunders Co., 1990. Pp. 1774, 2248.
*Principles Of Neurology, 4th Ed.; Raymond D. Adams, M.D. and Maurice Victor, M.D., Editors; McGraw-Hill Information Services Company, 1989. Pp. 597-598, 1081-1083.
*Medical Management Of Idiopathic (Bell's)Palsy:K.K. Adour;Otolaryngol Clin Nor Am (June1991;24(3)).Pp.663-673.
-Sammye Lamb
I have had good success with adding B6 and Magnesium to relax the muscles. I agree with the Colloidal Silver. -Bill Harshaw
You might email Dr. Jack Ritchason, he has a lot of experience with this. He lives in California and his web address is drjack4herbs.net I believe this is it. I have searched thru the Web Ferret to find him. -Gwen Wildes
Wood Betony is wonderful for Bell's Palsy. -Kimberly Balas
Q: I would appreciate any and all information anyone has on Bell Palsy... Thank You. I have it now and I would appreciate knowing what I should be taking.... -Shelly
NSP has a homeopathic called Viral Recovery it covers many things including the virus that causes Bell's Palsy (that would be the Epstein Barr Virus). You might want to concentrate your search on the virus (if you're just looking for info). Since it's a virus, you want to boost your immune system with whatever has worked for you in the past and/or is good for your blood type. As long as you are not diagnosed with an auto-immune disease, then I would treat this like any virus and take Defense Maintenance, maybe some High Potency Grapine (if you get mouth sores you need Colloidal Minerals with that). Make sure you're testing your pH so that your internal biological environment is best suited to defeat the virus. And if you're an O blood type don't use Echinacea. Take the Homeopathic Viral Recovery according to directions on the bottle. And make sure you're diet is very good and strict like you were home sick with the flu. No sugar, caffeine, sodas, junk food, etc. Try to eat according to your blood type especially when fighting infection. It also helps keep your pH balanced. You might even benefit from Gingko/Gotu Kola for circulation to the head (my sister's Bell's Palsy was in the face). She had it maybe 20 years ago, and the virus runs it's course and things should return to normal. -Joanne Crane
Equal parts of Calcium/Magnesium are very important to help restore nerve transmission along with B-Complex and extra Vitamin B6. I'm talking about NSP's high quality products of course. You can take Helichrysum essential oil and Peppermint essential oil and rub around the front and back of the ear, too. -Nancy
My Mother had Bell's Palsy twice. The first time she went to a conventional western doctor..none of his treatments helped, her face remained paralyzed for weeks.

The second time she went to a Chinese acupuncturist and after two treatments the paralysis went away. -Alma
I have had great results with Bell's Palsy using Wood Betony. Also Stress Relief and Nutri-Calm. -Kimberly
I got Bell's a few years back; paralysis on the left side of my face. My allopathic doc said it might last anywhere from 6 months to forever. I thought, screw that! So I went to my Chinese medicine practitioner and had four needle treatments and some Chinese herbs and it was completely healed in three weeks, never to return. By the way, acupuncture is also very effective for paralysis from strokes. Blessings. -Neil Rhoads
Q: Customer diagnosed with this. She is anxious because she had a malignant tumor removed recently from other cheek and has been told this could either be caused by stress which she has plenty of or another tumor. Any suggestions? -Barb Moldenhauer
I've had success using the following program for several of my clients with this condition.
VS-C, Nutri-Calm, Stress Relief, High Potency Grapine, & some CoQ10 - (100mg if in budget). Completely allayed the problem. -Melody Lambert
Q: Hi, My sister developed Bell's Palsy over the week-end and now the doctor has her on steroids for a week. She's diabetic and on insulin. What herbs should she be taking. Or cleansing program perhaps. She's 50 and has diabetic neuropathy in her feet plus brights disease. Thanks. -Marianne
B complex, Magnesium Complex, Calcium Magnesium and Ginkgo Bilobia. A client of mine who is a school teacher had a severe bell palsy attack while pregnant ( and therefore couldn't go the steroid route)took this regimin and within 3 weeks had full use of all muscles except one- which took 4 weeks more. Her therapist and neurologist were amazed. -Nora Weigl
I had excellent results & regained full movement of my face in about 3 weeks on the following in high doses:

B-Complex
VS-C (Bell's Palsy has been linked to viral infections including a dormant Epstein Barr)
High Potency Grapine
Stress Relief
Along with normal vitamin/minerals, etc.
I also massaged my face with Heliacrysum oil diluted with carrier oil. -Sami
What side of the face is Bell Palsey present? The left side is a sign of deficiency in sodium, while the right side is a sign of a deficiency in potassium. Has she been on diuretics, or have had problems with diarrhea, or has been exercising and not replenishing her electrolytes?

Either way if you add Alfalfa (6 per day)to any other supplements she decides to take, she will balance out her electolytes and possibly prevent any future problem with this. Best wishes. -Lourdes Martinez
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: