Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoker (Article)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Smoker (Article) Reply with quote

Smoker (Article)

I have a Time-Life Medical Encyclopedia CD, that had this information on quitting smoking. It does not replace the infomation we have shared (they aren't aware of Lobelia AND St. John's Wort), but is helpful none the less.
Georgiana

ALTERNATIVE CHOICES
Alternative therapies can offer support to tobacco users trying to quit their habit. Behavior modification techniques that may help include meditation, guided imagery, biofeedback, and hypnotherapy.

ACUPRESSURE, LUNG 07

ACUPRESSURE, LARGE INTESTINE 04

ACUPUNCTURE
Acupuncture has been shown to help relieve withdrawal symptoms. Treatment usually involves one to three sessions using points on the ear or the body. Acupuncture may be combined with herbal medicine or other nutritional support but is not appropriate when using the nicotine gum or patch.
Consult a Chinese herbalist or an acupuncturist trained in Chinese herbs for an appropriate course of therapeutic treatment.

HERBAL THERAPIES
Lobelia (Lobelia inflata) has actions similar to nicotine but is gentler and longer lasting. It is often used by medical herbalists in conjunction with ephedra (Ephedra sinica), a stimulant, to help tobacco users quit. See a professional; too much of these herbs can cause serious side effects. Herbalists also often recommend herbs to calm the nervous system during withdrawal, including oat (Avena sativa) straw, chamomile (Matricaria recutita), hops (Humulus lupulus), and valerian (Valeriana officinalis).

AT-HOME REMEDIES
Most tobacco-use cessation programs offer the following steps to help you quit:
• Analyze your habit for a few weeks; keep a log of when, where, and why you use tobacco.
• List the reasons you want to quit.
• Set a "quit" date and stick to it.
• Find substitutes—sugarless gum to chew or a pen or pencil to hold—and change your routines to avoid triggering a desire for tobacco.
• Reward your resolve. Treat yourself with the money you would have spent on your habit.
• Enjoy your food and eat as much low-calorie food as you want during withdrawal.
• Never let a relapse deter you from continuing your efforts to quit. Former smokers try an average of six times before they quit for good.

PREVENTION
The best preventive step is not to start using tobacco and to educate your children to its dangers. Most tobacco users start in their teens because of peer pressure, a need to rebel, or a desire to appear more mature. Children of tobacco users are more likely to be users because they view tobacco use as acceptable. If you use tobacco and you're serious about preventing your children from doing so, you can provide the best example by quitting.

CALL YOUR DOCTOR IF:
• you are a tobacco user concerned about your health for any reason; tobacco users are more susceptible to respiratory problems; circulatory problems such as stroke, heart attack, and occlusive vascular disorder; and many forms of cancer.
• you want to stop using tobacco; your doctor can prescribe nicotine-based aids and refer you to counseling or to other cessation programs to get you through the withdrawal stage. -Georgiana
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
When Smokers Quit ­ What Are the Benefits Over Time?

20 minutes after quitting: Your heart rate drops.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1988, pp. 39, 202)

12 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1988, p. 202)

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp.193,194,196,285,323)

1 to 9 months after quitting: Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. 285-287, 304)

1 year after quitting: The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, p. vi)

5 years after quitting: Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker
5-15 years after quitting.

10 years after quitting: The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker's. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decrease.
(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. vi, 131, 148, 152, 155, 164,166)

15 years after quitting: The risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker's.

Visible and Immediate Rewards of Quitting Quitting helps stop the damaging effects of tobacco on your appearance including:

premature wrinkling of the skin bad breath stained teeth gum disease bad smelling clothes and hair yellow fingernails Kicking the tobacco habit also offers benefits that you'll notice immediately and some that will develop gradually in the first few weeks. These rewards can improve your day-to-day life substantially:

Food tastes better. Sense of smell returns to normal Ordinary activities no longer leave you out of breath (climbing stairs, light housework, etcetera.) The prospect of better health is a major reason for quitting, but there are others as well. -Sharon Grimes
How to Stop Smoking & Put out the Fire of Lung Cancer!!!
I have seen several human lungs which came from smokers. These lungs were a black sticky massunlike a light pink healthy lung tissue. There is no doubt in my mind smoking is harmful to your life. Here are some tips on how to quit naturally that I have picked up over twenty-five years. Physically, you may be using nicotine like some use coffee or sweets as a stimulant. Nicotine is a psychoactive addictive drug which causes marked alterations in body chemistry. Nicotine inhaled directly or second-hand is absorbed through the lungs, goes directly into the blood, proceeds directly to the brain and produces a sense of euphoria for the regular smoker. The regular smoker tries to reproduce the euphoria all day long. Nicotine directly affects blood pressure, heart rate, skin temperature, hormone production, muscle tension, and sensitivity to pain. Nicotine also affects your mood. It can give you greater concentration and also makes you more tense.

The coal tar in a cigarette is the killer. It is a source of free radical damage in your body which is the cause of joint pain as in arthritis and more serious degenerative diseases such as cancer.

Little is said about the smoke being in your eyes or affecting your facial skin over a long period. I relate smoking to holding your head over a pile of burning leaves for a similar period. How can a smoker complain about their eyesight getting worse, unless they quit. Long term smokers are easy to pick out in a crowd with their dry facial wrinkles.

It's not easy to convince your body that it needs to smoke. Your body rejects your first attempts. Peer pressure or the people idols in your world may persist and you are reinforced by constant magazine, billboard and TV advertising. Our youth seem so set on destroying their youth with smoking, junk food, and hard rock music. Could we say their youth is going up in smoke?

Let us become aware of why you smoke! Go through this test and circle your true answers.

1. I smoke because I light up automatically and don't know I'm doing it? Yes - No
2. I smoke because it's relaxing? Yes - No
3. I smoke because I like handling cigarettes, matches and lighters? Yes - No
4. I smoke to help deal with anger? Yes - No
5. I smoke to keep from slowing down? Yes - No
6. I smoke because it's unbearable not to? Yes - No
7. I smoke because I enjoy watching the smoke as I exhale it? Yes - No
8. I smoke to take my mind off my troubles? Yes - No
9. I smoke because I really enjoy it? Yes - No
10. I smoke because I feel uncomfortable without a cigarette in my hand? Yes - No
11. I smoke to give myself a lift? Yes - No
12. I smoke without planning to-it's just part of my routine? Yes - No

Look at your true yes answers:
A. 1 and 12, you smoke from habit. B. 2 and 9, you seek relaxation. C. 3 and 7, you need pleasure of handling things. D. 4 and 8, you need tension reducing. E. 5 and 11, you need stimulation. F. 6 and 10, you have a physiological addiction.

A person may smoke for several of the above reasons. If you can pinpoint a certain reason, then it is possible to substitute something positive to replace the smoking. So let us find a substitute and help our body eliminate the nicotine, coal tar build up, relax and stay thin naturally.

Substitutes might be:

A. Habit: become aware, substitute a better habit, like an exercise or knitting. B. Relaxation: use other ways, deep breathing, a new hobby, social activity, exercise. C. Handling: try doodling, embroidery, or knitting. D. Tension: work off tension in other ways, exercise is most viable. E. Stimulation: find health stimulation such as Gotu Kola or exercise. F. Addiction: work down nicotine levels with low tar cigarettes, or go cold turkey.

Here are herbs which will help and their historical use:
Lobelia/St John's Wort. Lung and nerve support. This combination is well known to reduce or stop desire for smoking. Suggested use, 3,3X.

Stress Relief -- suggested use: 3 in the morning and afternoon, 6 at night. Will relax without drugging.

Licorice -- suggested use: 3 two times per day. Builds the adrenal glands and helps balance blood sugar.

GGC -- suggested use: 2 or 3 in the morning, 2 or 3 at noon. Helps keep your mental powers going.

BP-X –– suggested use: 3 in the morning, 6 at night. (blood cleansing) Sets stage for you to balance weight, cleanse the blood and keep bowels moving.

Mineral Maintenance -- suggested use: 5 two times per day. All minerals are to keep system functioning well and calm, keeps weight normal.

Tobacco Detox -- A Homeopathic energy formula to help reduce the desire for nicotine and smooth out your habit change.

Nutritionally, you should start the above program before you try to quit. The herbs will nullify your body's tendency to gain weight. The herbs will also take away your physical desire for nicotine. Now you are ready for the Big Day.

THE BIG DAY HAS ARRIVED. YOU ARE QUITTING! Here are some ideas:
A. Pick a weekend free of stress, in-laws, baseball games etc., where you might have otherwise enjoyed smoking. B. Throw out all cigarettes, matches, lighters and ashtrays. C. Visit your dentist and have tobacco stains (and tar) removed from teeth. D. Plan to be busy on the Big Day. Plan an activity in which you would not have smoked. E. Go to places where no smoking is allowed, such as museums, theaters, etc. F. Take public transportation. Be sure to clean out your car ashtrays and any cigarettes stored in your car. G. Exercise, especially for the next few days. Ride a bike, play tennis, swim or jog. H. Avoid anyone who smokes. Hopefully, this will not be your spouse. Plan the Big Day so you have maximum time away from smoke at work. I. Expect withdrawal symptoms. To minimize your withdrawal symptoms, begin your herbal program two weeks prior to the BIG DAY. If you are prone to the munchies, have lots of carrots and celery ready in the refrigerator. Otherwise, counteract any potential problems. J. Brush your teeth three to six times per day, using a tasty mouth wash afterward. Breathe deeply-clean fresh air, we hope.

After the Big Day, count your blessings. It is very important to write down your accomplishments, big or little. Put a lined paper on the refrigerator and make hourly notes. Calculate the monies you are not burning up. Treat yourself to a new shirt or skirt in two, three or seven days.

Welcome back to the world of smell, taste, good breathing and better eyesight. You will smell better to the rest of us. You have joined the happiest group of quitters and have done the greatest thing you could possibly have done for your health. You have avoided lung deterioration, perhaps even lung cancer or emphysema. Learn more on how you can better maintain the health of your lungs with specific herbs.
Source: Jim Jenks
Cigarette Smokers
I don't usually send this type of thing, but I got it from a friend and found it very powerful. Since others send in articles, I thought you might like to see this one. If any of you are smokers, please pay attention!!!

Newsweek's cover story last week of Peter Jenning's recent death from lung cancer got the blogs rolling with activity:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8942447/site/newsweek
"The Deadliest Cancer

Lung cancer kills more Americans than any other type of malignancy..." Some people apparently find it hard to believe that quitting smoking will stop lung cancer. Others are calling for all smokers to drop their cigarettes.

http://www.jasncab.com/huberblog/viewblog.aspx?blogid=125
The point seems plain to me. But I was struck by these lines in the report:

"The goal is to pinpoint "susceptibility genes," inherited mutations that make some people especially vulnerable to the cancer-causing agents in cigarettes and the environment. If labs could test for those mutations — as they now do for breast- and colon-cancer genes — high-risk people could be singled out for special precautions, intensive screening and possibly even personalized treatments."

Imagine that! "Susceptibility genes," are at fault! All that the susceptible among us need is intensive screening and "possibly even personalized treatments."

My, how relieved many smokers must be to know it's really not the smoke! And, hey, even if the smoke bothers a few people, they'll go get their screening and personalized treatment and be just fine! Some people really believe that. What can I say. After reading the comments on one blog, I saw how confused some people are and was compelled to throw my argument into the hat. To all those out there who are hesitant to give up their cigarettes, I offer this:

---------------
Quit smoking?
Now, now, we needn't rush to such drastic measures for the sake of a flimsy study! After all, they'll soon be able to identify everyone with those nasty "susceptibility genes," and single them out for "special precautions, intensive screening and possibly even personalized treatments." The kind, considerate people of the cancer industry will take care of you. You don't have to consider changing your lifestyle for some inconclusive study. Give them a few more years to do more research, then a few more to come up with "personalized treatments."

And in the meantime, enjoy your smokes. No one wants to deprive you of your pleasure.

Is that the tune you smokers would rather hear?

Maybe it would warm your heart to know that you're serving your country by smoking - with every puff, you help keep a large percentage of Americans employed and the American economy running. Yes, it's true, smoking actually helps the economy. That's because smoking generates massive amounts of money. If smokers only knew how they play into the hands of big industry - that they are nothing but fodder certain industries profit from by subtly (or not-so-subtly) encouraging smoking, they might be sickened enough to quit.

Think back on how it all started... Once upon a time, when most Americans were gullible and innocent, cigarettes were falsely marketed as a "health aid" to the general population. Yes, there were ads and posters everywhere that proclaimed the health benefits of smoking! And the government let them do it. Don't think the tobacco companies didn't know what they were doing. Or that they didn't realize they were marketing to young adults... then teenagers... then children. They knew then and they know now the consequences of smoking. And they've carefully calculated the amount of money they can make off each smoker from the year they start smoking to their inevitable death.

The medical industry has also carefully calculated the amount of money they can make from each lung cancer patient from diagnosis to death. Think of all the money at stake - the cancer research labs, the chemotherapy research and manufacturers, the doctors and clinics and hospitals that specialize in all the different cancers, the diagnostic machines and those that manufacture them. All the expensive drugs, surgeries, tests, and procedures involved. It goes on and on.

It's an industry, folks. Cancer is BIG business. If you're a smoker, from childhood to adulthood the tobacco industry profits from you...then you're passed on to the cancer industry and you're good for millions more. Why on earth would they want you to quit?

That's why they're offering "special precautions, intensive screening and possibly even personalized treatments." Notice they're offering "treatments" and "screening" instead of the obvious - stop smoking, outlaw cigarettes, make it a crime to expose babies to cigarette smoke. And while you're at it, stop pollutants from being dumped into the air we breathe!

Make no mistake about it, the tobacco-lung cancer industries are closely interwoven and feed off of each other (supported by our government which STILL subsidizes tobacco farmers)... and smokers are at the bottom of the food chain holding up the whole shebang. -Marie Francis
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: