Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identify Your Vision

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Business Building Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sun 17, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Identify Your Vision Reply with quote

Identify Your Vision

The Top 10 Ways to Identify Your Vision

'Having a Vision' sounds like such a big or impressive thing, doesn't it? But this Top 10 List is designed to explain what a vision is, how it works, how easy it is to find one and what do with it once you do see it. Microsoft's vision is a very clear one: "A computer on every desk and in every home, all running Microsoft software." (I'm paraphrasing a bit.)

1. Be clued in to the trends which are affecting society and business and you.
A vision is, in one way, about the future. Yet, a vision is even more about the present; it's about what is happening today. In fact, I'd even say that the clearest/best visions are now-based. Meaning that you simply identify or recognize a current condition, trend or event and then Extrapolate from there....If you notice society making progress in one area and you can determine that the forces behind the progress will likely continue, then you can pretty easily 'see' the vision of the progress continuing until it is universal or has reached the point of being finished. Look at Microsoft's vision in the introduction area above and you'll see what I mean. They are extrapolating, but can back it up with data.

2. Know several visionary types, personally.
It's one thing to have a vision; it's another to be a visionary. A visionary usually can see a number of things/visions, not just one. As you spend time with folks like this, their 'skills' and abstract thinking will improve your own; and your vision.

3. Identify a current trend and extrapolate it into a vision.
What is a current trend you see in your field of work, or in life itself? Computers are a trend. So is the Internet. How about retailing? What's the underlying trend there? Education? Once you've picked an area and identified a trend, ask yourself, "Hmmm, if this trend continues for the next 50 years, what will be TRUE for this industry/situation/product/market/population?" For example, if trends continue regarding the Internet, 80-95% of American homes WILL eventually be connected to the Internet in some manner (PCs, NCs, WebTV), just as 90%+ of American homes have phones now (compared to a much lower number earlier this century). So, given this 80-95% Internet penetration factor, what's one of the more obvious visions regarding the Internet and people? The end of ignorance? An explosion of creativity? The end of education as we know it? The fun thing about this process is that your vision doesn't have to be accurate – a vision is not a prediction nor a promise. It's just what you see, given what you see.

4. Give up chasing a vision.
Having a vision has become a sexy thing, meaning that people think it's important to have one. And it is. But a vision is usually best as something that you discover as you live your life or engage in your work, instead of something you are straining your eyes to see. You can't acquire a vision. However, you can notice what's already occurring around you and extrapolate THAT into a vision.

5. Drop the whole notion of life purpose, primary meaning, commitment, and mission.
One can create a case for the value of having a clearly articulated life purpose, meaning, commitments or mission, and I have to admit, each of these has value. However, in the world of the Attraction OS, these are not necessary. They even get in the way. Because they are all future-based/future-outcome type things. They are what I call manufactured realities or futures. They are renditions or are created from a need to feel more secure in who a person is. They are generally trappings. As someone I respect said: "Thomas, your life purpose is just to be great. Give up the other stuff and just be yourself. That's plenty."

6. Use goals as a way of keeping your vision clear and available.
A vision that I have is that everyone will have the phrasing (definition: vocabulary plus awareness) to get what they want. To me, this is so obvious, it's boring. Meaning that I clearly see the world already progressing in this direction. It WILL happen universally at some point, even if we're only 1% of the way there currently. I don't even have to have faith in the vision; it's just an obvious extrapolation. However, it is fun to identify projects that will accelerate the vision, just as Microsoft comes up with new OS's and applications and reasons for people to have a computer at work and at home.

7. Adjust your life so that you're inspired by your vision instead of empowered by it.
This point is a little tricky. Empowerment, generally a good thing, is not a good thing in this area of vision. Because that would mean that your empowerment is dependent on your vision's development. I'd rather reduce the stress of the vision by being content about it and feeling inspired by it from time to time. I get my empowerment from people, not projects. Big difference.

8. Let your Vision evolve by your development and awareness.
I only focus on my vision every couple of months. I kind of 'check in' with it and with what I'm working on. I don't have to check in any more often than this, because the vision is so clear for me that it already guides my actions and orients my projects. The projects or ideas which come to me have already been 'filtered' by the clarity of the vision. I'm probably not going to have ideas that are not directly related to the vision being realized. So, I am free to chill out, be myself, grow, enjoy, learn and develop myself, without having to constantly check in and consciously measure myself against the vision. Which brings us to point #9.

9. Don't confuse self-identity with your vision.
There is ME and then there is my VISION. There is YOU and then there is your VISION. You know the two have crashed into each other when your vision becomes a CAUSE and you start basing your life, self-esteem, success or identity on the progression or success of your vision. It's not pretty. In these cases, the vision has become a need and it messes people up.

10. Let your vision evolve naturally.
In other words, don't get fixated about your (single) vision. Let it evolve and grow; it needs to, given you're changing as well. Have it be your friend, not your reason for being.

Submitted by Thomas Leonard, who can be reached at http://www.thomasleonard.com
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Business Building Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: