Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SPLENDA - Is It Making You Sick? Article & Reader Commen

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: SPLENDA - Is It Making You Sick? Article & Reader Commen Reply with quote

Is Splenda Making You Sick?
Find Out Some Common Reaction Symptoms:

Splenda, which is the brand name for the non-nutritive sweetener sucralose, is added to hundreds of foods and beverages sold in the United States and abroad. At this time there have been no long-term studies done to show how this manmade substance reacts in the human body. Despite this lack of research, Splenda is showing up in many products, even those that claim to be "healthy," and Americans are buying them thinking they are somehow better than those with sugar. In all actuality, if you eat Splenda you are acting as a guinea pig in a science experiment since no one knows what the long-term effects of Splenda will be.

Maybe you are thinking, but it is FDA-approved so it must be safe. Well, I could fill many pages listing all of the "approved" substances that have turned out to be unfit for human use, but here are just a few: Aspartame PEDIARIX combination vaccine for children Food irradiation Flu Mist nasal flu vaccine

If you would like to know more about why Splenda is essentially chlorinated table sugar, you should read The Potential Dangers of Sucralose. Some chlorinated molecules serve as the basis for pesticides such as DDT and accumulate in body fat and tissues. Although is commonly thought that surcralose passes through the body unabsorbed, FDA research says otherwise. According to FDA tests, 11 percent to 27 percent of sucralose is absorbed by humans, and tests by the Japanese Food Sanitation Council show that up to 40 percent may actually be absorbed.

In fact, here is what it says on the Splenda Web site: "Studies have shown that about 15% of ingested sucralose is passively absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. The small amount of sucralose that is absorbed is distributed to essentially all tissues."

Along with the lack of long-term studies, sucralose has been the subject of fewer scientific studies than any other non-nutritive sweetener. Perhaps they are afraid of what they may discover. Already Splenda has surpassed Equal in dollar-market share, and any negative findings would surely cut into these massive earnings.

The Splenda site also states that Splenda causes "no known side effects." Well below I've included a list of reactions compiled from those that readers have experienced. Although many of these symptoms could indeed have other contributing causes, most people stated that the symptoms began around the same time they started using Splenda, and then subsequently disappeared when Splenda was removed from their diet. You can read our Splenda testimonials to get their entire stories, and if you find yourself experiencing any of the symptoms below I urge you to remove Splenda from your diet if you have not done so already.

Splenda Reaction Symptoms: Flushing or redness of the skin
Burning feeling of the skin
Rash
Itching
A panicky or shaky feeling
Swelling
Blisters on the skin
Welts
Nausea
Stomach cramps
Dry heaves
Becoming withdrawn
Loss of interest in usual activities
Feeling forgetful
Moodiness
Dulled senses
Unexplained crying
Acne or acne-like rash
Anxiety and/or Panic attacks
Feelings of food poisoning
Headache
Seeing spots
Mental or emotional breakdown
Altered emotional state, i.e. feeling irate, impatient, hypersensitive
Pain (body, chest)
Bloated abdomen
Diarrhea
Trouble concentrating/staying in focus
Feeling depressed
Vomiting
Seizures
Shaking
Feeling faint
===========

Splenda/Comments and Testimonials From our Readers
- - - - - - - - - -
I just read about the side effects of Splenda (the wonderful sweetner, ha). I have been experiencing most of these reactions and wondering what the cause was. I thought I was going to have to stop drinking my pot of coffee everyday.(The anxiety and panic attacks) Now I realize that it is simply the sweetner I have been using. Be forewarned, most of these reactions did not happen immediately. It took time before these reactions started to visibly affect me. I thought Splenda was safe. Thank you for protecting us FDA. HAHAHA! I am switching to XYLITOL! "they" say there are no known side affects. You should check into it yourself, but it has been around for 40 years, with a lot of testing, by other countries as well. Good luck. -Mary
- - - - - - - - - -
I know Herbal Beverage isn't exactly coffee. But you REALLY would be better off. I had headaches for 3 days when I quit drinking coffee (I was a 3 pot a day person) - but it's been worth it. As far as your sweetener goes -- consider Stevia or Xylitol. Best to get away from the intensely sweet taste anyway - Many moons ago, I used to be a heaping spoonful of sugar in coffee, now drink nothing but once in a while tiny bit of Stevia in an herb tea and usually nothing. Another name for Stevia is "Honey Leaf". If you use too much, it has an odd taste -- but a little goes a long way. -Georgiana
- - - - - - - - - -
Xylitol or stevia powder are also a good options, especially for diabetics. -Lourdes Martinez
- - - - - - - - - - - -
It has taken me over 5 years to realize that Splenda has been behind many of my health problems.

I've been sick with numb hands and feet, high blood pressure, achy joints, insomnia, fatigue, moodiness, violently bitchy, anxiety, mood swings, and over all pain.

I just decided I wasn't going to use Splenda any longer because of the way it's made and about 3 months later all my symptoms have improved except a constant mild headache.

This chemical (Splenda) has been anything but "Splenda" to me. I wish I had the last 5 years of my life back and all the money in lost jobs and doctor visits for something I was innocently ingesting.

This is a very BAD product. -Birdy...
- - - - - - - - - -
I began a low carb diet in 1998 and was successful at losing weight. During my maintenance phase, I began to dramatically increase my intake of artificial sweeteners. I was drinking diet sodas, making candy and other desserts, and much more. Within two years, in 2000 at age 49, I began to experience difficulty breathing, seemingly related to anxiety. In the past four years, I have been prescribed Estrogen, Zoloft, Prozac, Buspar, and Synthroid in an attempt to control the symptoms. Recently, I began to notice a pattern of more trouble breathing on a day where I consume more AS. I found your website and have now decided to experiment by cutting out the artificial sweeteners. If this works, I will definitely report back to you all and will shout it from the rooftops. I have been so miserable and I am not an 'anxious' type! Oh my gosh, I hope this is my answer! -Sherry
- - - - - - - - - -
I'm curious if anyone else has had his reaction, or is possibly having but didn't realize was from Splenda/sucralose. I had the reaction several years ago when I was dieting and using Splenda and again recently as I began a low-carb diet. My lips seem to be on fire and will eventually blister all around the edges. I had a doctor treat my for fever blisters, but it took a lot more medicine than it should have. I quit all of those sugar free things and only started up again about 1 week ago, but in very small doses (just a nibble here or there to ward of the sugar cravings). Today however, I had some in my coffee and this evening I made a raspberry lemonade with Fruit2o and one of the coffee syrups (raspberry) and fresh lemon juice. With in minutes my lips were flaming and bright red. Normally my lips have no color or very little. I had noticed the diarrhea, but it wasn't bad since I wasn't eating much. The back of my neck is also very warm and my face is flush. I've seen reports of others with similar, but wonder if anyone else is having cold sore/ fever blister type reactions. I've never been actually diagnosed as having the herpes simplex virus, only treated as though it was. Tonight I'm convinced it's a reaction to sucralose. -Jac
- - - - - - - - - -
WHY are you even trying it again, knowing the possible side effects? NOT GOOD. Do read the article below on how the low cal sweeteners do NOT help with weight loss. You are better off #1 doing without sweeteners, #2 If you must have sweet, learn to use Stevia, #3 occasionally just use a small amount of sugar -- not on a regular basis.

In place of drinks that you would want to sweeten, drink pure water with fresh lemon. THE BEST drink available. Or even pure water with liquid chlorophyll in it.

I had sent this out to my group. Hope you find it of interest. -Georgiana

Diet Cola's Downside If you think you're doing your body a favor by choosing diet soda, the exact opposite may hold true.

Your diet drinking habits may warn of weight problems to come. Studies show a 54 percent greater risk of obesity among people who drink two cans or more daily.

That Sweet Taste Do you satisfy your sweet tooth with sugar substitutes? Those packets add up -- and sometimes raise your cravings for calories.

"You have to look at what's on your plate, not just what's in your glass," says Leslie Bonci, MPH, RD.
- - - - - - - - - -
I have been wondering about Splenda myself, I haven't experienced your symptom but have suffered from some of the other symptoms. I am wondering if anyone has experienced weight gain. I have been dieting for over a year and have gained 20 pounds and I am starting to think it is the splenda. My thyroid has been checked numerous times and it comes back normal. I watch what I eat and I exercise 3-5 times a week. Needless to say I am totally frustrated. After what I have read, I am going to stop anything with splenda. -Laura
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I only wish I would have found this out earlier. I have been dieting (i like to call it a healthy eating lifestyle) for over a year now. I have lost 25 pounds. Yeah. Then about 4 months ago I started using splenda products regularly. In fact most of my meal if not all of meals contain a huge portion of the product. I thought this was fine because of the no calorie claim. However in the past month I have actually gained 18 pounds of my weight back. I really don't understand it considering I thought I was eating so little calories and I walk 4 miles everyday. (I never miss my morning walks, ever) I was truly starving but satisfying my sweet tooth and exercising yet losing no weight. I have also had the other symptoms, headaches, dry mouth, depression, confusion. I went to the doc and they did every test known on me because I figured my only problem could be a thyroid problem. Everything was ruled out. They tried to put me on meds for depression but I declined. I never had any issues before. So this has to be the only answer. Today is my first day of not ingesting this "fake" sugar and I will then have to weight to see any changes. Until then. -kv
I have been drinking Diet Pepsi for about 5 years, but the last 2 years, was about 95% my source of liquid. I have noticed that my skin on my face has become red and flush's alot. I have been off AS about 1 week. I was wondering if this could be the root of my evil, and if so, how long do you think it will take to rid my body of this toxin? Have there been any other reports of my symptoms? I am about to go to the skin doctor in 48 days, will this be enough time to see if this is my problem? I ONLY drink water and some milk now.
It was hard getting off the pop, but I managed. Any information you can offer would be great! P.S. Also having blurring of vision, loss of some hair(more than usual)weight gain, bloating. HELP ! -Danielle
I had a bad reaction to splenda too. I normally do not eat artificial sweeteners. I ate a piece of pie sweetened with splenda and I got a case of painful edema that took six weeks to go away. My naturopath says that splenda is not utilized or broken down in the body because it not real sugar. It is not broken down at all and stays in the same form as when it is eaten. It is just stored in your joints and fat cells. That is why my joints hurt so bad. I stay away from splenda and all types of artificial sweeteners. To do this I eat mostly a diet of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts and seeds and a bit of low fat dairy. I eat very little processed food. I use honey to sweeten my tea if needed. Another suggestion is to use stevia if you need a sweetener. If you research about the side effects of splenda use you will be surprised how harmful it is. I did a search on the web and there is a lot of information out there. -J. Meehan
Websites of Splenda Information
The Truth:
http://www.wnho.net/splenda.htm

Details:
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f05/web2/skoff.html

The not so Truth:
http://www.ific.org/publications/brochures/sucralosebroch.cfm
-Mike
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: