Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index Nature's Sunshine Products NSP
For customer and distributor discussions of Nature's Sunshine Products. Not an official site of NSP.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baby - Brain Injury

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CombinedNSP
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec Sat 16, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Baby - Brain Injury Reply with quote

Baby - Brain Injury

This is the newborn daughter of the neighbor of a good friend of mine. They are open and receptive to natural remedies/herbs/holistic health. Can you give me some ideas on how this baby might best respond (sorry for the long background...it's a complicated case):

BACKGROUND: Liberty is just a month older than Jonas (which puts her at almost 4 months now)...she is slightly slow developmentally, but I think that has more to do with the fact that she was born 3 weeks premature. She had a natural, unmedicated birth in the birth center and is exclusively breast fed. At about a month old, she was found to have a large hole in her heart, between the two chambers, and that the veins leading to her heart were also switched. It was only because of the hole that she was able to get oxygen throughout her body, as the blood mixed between the two chambers. Her heart defects were corrected by surgery, but it appears that she needed to be revived at some point after her operation, which may have something to do with the subsequent problems as described in the email below.

Charity's email: I'm sure many of you are interested to hear what we learned at the neurologist. We learned some good news and some challenging news. They chose to admit Liberty to the hospital so that her testing could get :finished quicker, over a day rather than over several months. She had another EEG and an MRI. Praise the Lord, the EEG was consistent with the one done in Enid, which showed partial seizures instead of the infantile spasms it looked like. This is good because partial seizures respond better to medication, are easier to control, and have fewer adverse long term effects. The Lord is good. The MRI report, however, was a little more challenging. It shows brain injury to all four lobes on the left side and a little damage on the right side. There is also decreased brain mass. The neurologist is certain this injury was sustained the day after Liberty's surgery when she had to have CPR for 5-10 minutes during her pulmonary hypertensive crisis. She said that she cannot predict what the future holds for Liberty, but she is very concerned. There is a chance that Liberty could lead a fairly normal life, just being a little behind developmentally. There is also a chance she could be completely debilitated. The positives are that Liberty is young, so the chances of her brain making improvement are much greater than an adult's who suffered the same type of injury. Another positive is that she is eating so well. The neurologist said that seldom will a child who has undergone one trauma, let alone several like Liberty, suck and swallow so well and thrive. She said it may seem like a small victory, but it, in fact, is very encouraging. We told the neurologist that we are praying for a miracle. She said that's exactly what we should do. She says they see them. Children that they thought would have no chance make remarkable progress in just six months sometimes. After conferring with six doctors, it was decided that given her seizure activity and her brain injury, the fussiness probably is a result. The back arching and stiffness is a result of the injury. The neurologist said we could see some improvement as the seizures come under control. She said we'd see more as we work with therapists to learn how to help her quit arching and relax. They don't want to try to medicate her for other possible causes because then we couldn't be sure what's working. If we don't see any improvement after working on the things listed above, they will look into some other causes. [NOTE BY RENEE LIBERTY HAS JUST STARTED A NEW MEDICATION TO CONTROL THE SEIZURES AND IS RESPONDING WELL TO IT.] Although we choose to believe the report of the Lord that says Liberty is healed, whole, and free, it is still a bit discouraging. We've had some moments of grieving, with others yet to come I'm sure, and then we told satan that he will NOT have the victory here. All this will do is ensure that he will hear Jesus' name spoken even more. This gives even more opportunity for God's glory to be revealed. satan may be enjoying his moment in the sun, but it will be short lived. God is in control! I know it may be beyond what some of you can do to believe for a miracle with us. We don't begrudge you at all. We love you and still covet your prayers. However, we do ask that those of you who would like to stand with us for complete healing of Liberty do so. We don't know for sure when her complete healing will come or how it will be manifest, but we are confident that we will see an exciting display of God's power for His glory in Miss Liberty's life. We will continue to declare the works of the Lord for Liberty until she is able to do it herself. God blessed us with a very encouraging day with Liberty yesterday. She really did not fuss at all except for when she was in the carseat and right before she went to bed. She just sat with us or layed on the floor and looked around. She very clearly gazed into our eyes for extended periods of time and even gave Lake and I a couple smiles. They were small, but they were definitely smiles. She cooed a bit, was more relaxed, and arched much less. She looked at a book that had several pictures of faces on the page, and you could clearly see her focus in on one and then switch to another. She has also done well overall today, and she gave me a HUGE smile! I know these things may seem small, but they are in incredible breakthrough for her! It has really encouraged us. We know that not all days may go so well, but it gives us hope to hold onto.
-Lisa Nelson
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nature's Sunshine Products NSP Forum Index -> Forum Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: